Shop Storage Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I just never have enough space in my shop so this weekend I decided to install some overhead storage in the shop (garage).:)

My shop has a walk in storage area above it so I was able to hang 2x4s from the 2x6 cross beams with lag bolts. The whole structure is lag bolted together, measures 8 X 12 feet and just like the cross beam is built on 24 inch centers :-( so I have no idea how much weight I can safely put up there. I will have to be careful about storing to much wood or the whole mess might come down on my head. I crawled around in it so I know it can handle 200lbs. At least I will get some of the little used stuff up there and maybe a sheet of 2 or plywood out of the way while I am working on a project:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Here is a picture...I am fairly sure that I will have to crawl out of bed in the morning after this project....I am getting to old for this kind of work!

Storage1.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good idea, but go back & take a 2 x 4 support to the top chord (rafter) of the truss. This will go along way towards adding support to the unit. If you bolted the verticals to the truss like you did the horizontals, just move those bolts up to the top & buy longer ones, sandwiching the truss in between. If the additional support goes by other truss members do the same - but not through a tie plate. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Good advice by Dennis to insure proper load distribution. And great use of that dead space overhead! BTW, I move this thread to the Workshops Forum.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Good idea, but go back & take a 2 x 4 support to the top chord (rafter) of the truss. This will go along way towards adding support to the unit. If you bolted the verticals to the truss like you did the horizontals, just move those bolts up to the top & buy longer ones, sandwiching the truss in between. If the additional support goes by other truss members do the same - but not through a tie plate. :icon_thum

I am not sure I can do what you are suggesting..I have included a picture that shows the the 2x4 bolted to the crossbeam in the storage area. It maybe that I can't do anything else and just need to keep the load on the storage unit reasonable...however I am open to suggestions on how to improve this setup structurally...Thanks!

Storage_1_.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The suport you show is close enough to the vertical truss brace that no additional support shuld be needed on that line. You may want to reexamine the other verticals, though. Looks like you have about a 12/12 pitch roof there. They're very strong when they're that steep. BTW, I didn't floor my attic because of (Fred)Sanford's Law. That is, "Junk expands to fill the space available." With your trusses having a 2 x 6 bottom chord you shouldn't have too much trouble with storage there. Just keep it reasonable & slip some 6" batts under that OSB.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
The suport you show is close enough to the vertical truss brace that no additional support shuld be needed on that line. You may want to reexamine the other verticals, though. Looks like you have about a 12/12 pitch roof there. They're very strong when they're that steep. BTW, I didn't floor my attic because of (Fred)Sanford's Law. That is, "Junk expands to fill the space available." With your trusses having a 2 x 6 bottom chord you shouldn't have too much trouble with storage there. Just keep it reasonable & slip some 6" batts under that OSB.

Thanks for your help - you are correct it is very steep roof that ties all this together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS