Shop Resolutions

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I have 2 resolutions for 2022. First is more shavings and less dust. I mentioned that in a different post but this year I will learn more about hand tools and see what I can do to cut down on the sawdust. It's more gratifying when you can do something by hand without a power tool (for me anyway - doesn't happen that frequently). Second is regular maintenance. I'm guilty of using blades too long, not cleaning them often enough, and assuming since I last used a tool it must still be ready to use next time I go to use it. I want to setup a regular schedule to maintain the tools in the shop.

Anyone else have some shop resolutions for 2022?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Stop making cabinets! I made shop cabinets for for my brother's shop, my shop, and now for my wife's new mud room in the house. Once the new countertops get installed on hers I'm done. I haven't touched a guitar in six months or more and I'm way behind.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Insulate my garage/shop so I can work in reasonable comfort year-round..
I did something similar, added HVAC to my garage shop (it was insulated on 2 sides and ceiling already) a few years ago, and I can say I use the space probable 300% more now than before, but still is probably 1000% less than I'd like to be out there.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Continue learning the capabilities of the tools I have and which ones I need. Improve my skills and proficiency in basics; cutting, joinery, understanding wood characteristics etc. Develop more shop organization and continue building relationships within this community. I hope everyone has a safe and prosperous New Year!!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have 2 resolutions for 2022. First is more shavings and less dust. I mentioned that in a different post but this year I will learn more about hand tools and see what I can do to cut down on the sawdust. It's more gratifying when you can do something by hand without a power tool (for me anyway - doesn't happen that frequently). Second is regular maintenance. I'm guilty of using blades too long, not cleaning them often enough, and assuming since I last used a tool it must still be ready to use next time I go to use it. I want to setup a regular schedule to maintain the tools in the shop.

Anyone else have some shop resolutions for 2022?
For most of us, woodworking is a hobby and I think that we all have to decide individually the degree of efficiency that we want to apply to our projects. I know woodworkers who only rarely use power tools. They will use a table saw to rip lumber, or a bandsaw to cut veneer, or a planer to size a board to the right thickness, but just about everything else is done with hand tools. And I know woodworkers who don't a table saw, bandsaw, or planer. It is amazing to see the quality of work that an experienced woodworker can turn out with very few tools and no gadgets. Coming from a construction background where time is money, I admit to employing the most efficient tools that I can buy in my shop. That said, I do enjoy using hand tools as often as I can. Cutting dovetails with a chisel certainly requires more skill and patience than using a dovetail jig. I still remember how impressed I when I was able to use a scraper properly, instead of using a power sander.

ste6168

New User
Mike
My resolution is to actually work in the shop this year, started cleaning it up this past week. I am hoping to get back around to it, last year was slow for me, working two full time jobs, essentially.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
For most of us, woodworking is a hobby and I think that we all have to decide individually the degree of efficiency that we want to apply to our projects. I know woodworkers who only rarely use power tools. They will use a table saw to rip lumber, or a bandsaw to cut veneer, or a planer to size a board to the right thickness, but just about everything else is done with hand tools. And I know woodworkers who don't a table saw, bandsaw, or planer. It is amazing to see the quality of work that an experienced woodworker can turn out with very few tools and no gadgets. Coming from a construction background where time is money, I admit to employing the most efficient tools that I can buy in my shop. That said, I do enjoy using hand tools as often as I can. Cutting dovetails with a chisel certainly requires more skill and patience than using a dovetail jig. I still remember how impressed I when I was able to use a scraper properly, instead of using a power sander.
It’s a hobby for me as well. I’ve never really had hand tools. I started with a table saw, band saw, and router. I don’t have a card scraper and the hand planes I have need a good tuning.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
It’s a hobby for me as well. I’ve never really had hand tools. I started with a table saw, band saw, and router. I don’t have a card scraper and the hand planes I have need a good tuning.
When I read your post, I thought there’s the makings of a resolution or two.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS