Shop Layout Feedback Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Any layout that calls for more shop furniture is a winner. Have you considered flipping the saw& and outfeed/ asssembly table? That gives you maximum room when working with the table saw, and shortens your walk to the workbench. When working with large stock, just open the garage door.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I'm joining this thread late, but take a look at stuff that you don't need in the shop and move them out- compressor, DC, fridge, any wood not on the wall at least 5' above the floor, etc. all need to go. Put DC and compressor in a little shed; fridge? get rid of your router table and build it into your TS extension table. How many vacs do you have? Move it/them out and use central vac or long hose.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
2 more cents:

I'd swap the the router tables and the workbench. Putting the bench on the back wall under the window seems to be recommended by many "experts" as it gives you some natural light. All the better to see the flaws!

pete

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Like that layout a lot better.

One thing you might do with you wood if you have the space. When I used to be in a 2 car garage I built a rack up above the garage doors. I had 5 feet of space up there and just stored the bulk of my lumber there until I needed it. It does mean you have to keep a step ladder handy, but it does get several hundred board feet off the floor and still inside. My .02

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Well, the garage is rearranged ... again!

The LOML and beautiful little girl helped out with the new storage workbench. It's this new bench that made so much of the clutter disappear!

The final bench

And the newly re-arranged garage ...

The pictures don't do it justice, but it is sooooooooooo much better. Thank you everybody for youf feedback and help!!!:icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Like that layout a lot better.

One thing you might do with you wood if you have the space. When I used to be in a 2 car garage I built a rack up above the garage doors. I had 5 feet of space up there and just stored the bulk of my lumber there until I needed it. It does mean you have to keep a step ladder handy, but it does get several hundred board feet off the floor and still inside. My .02

I built some platforms for this today and now need a couple strong backs to help install it.:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
One thing I'd like to know.... What CAD program did you use to draw the tools, or did you have one with those items already templated? I need to lay out mine when the time comes & it would save some time to know if there's a program out there that shows table saws, band saws, etc. in floor view. Otherwise, I'll just probably have to draw rectangles of measured dimesion for the tools I'll have. :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
One thing I'd like to know.... What CAD program did you use to draw the tools, or did you have one with those items already templated? I need to lay out mine when the time comes & it would save some time to know if there's a program out there that shows table saws, band saws, etc. in floor view. Otherwise, I'll just probably have to draw rectangles of measured dimesion for the tools I'll have. :icon_thum

The early drawings with the tool representations was done with the Grizzly shop layout tool (on their website, button link at bottom left). The latter drawings were just boxes and was done in Google SketchUp.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Nice job on the rearrangement Jeremy. You've got quite the setup there. Enjoy!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looks great! Having the saw, planer and jointer together should simplify your dust collection hookups as well.

I have to say you are going to be hard pressed to fit in anymore equipment of any size. You definitely have a full shop, not that there is anything wrong with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS