Shop Fox vises on sale at Grizzly <$50

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
Hey, everybody! Grizzly is having a sale on Shop Fox D4648 vises--$45 apiece. Free shipping, too. Not the biggest, not quick release, not made of unobtanium and unicorn blood, but pretty decent-looking vises. I just ordered a couple and figured someone else might be interested.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Hey, everybody! Grizzly is having a sale on Shop Fox D4648 vises--$45 apiece. Free shipping, too. Not the biggest, not quick release, not made of unobtanium and unicorn blood, but pretty decent-looking vises. I just ordered a couple and figured someone else might be interested.

you got my attention with that, but when I clicked the link the sale price shows $79 and change. wondering what the difference is

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ll bet they got some interest with people buying and others checking it out, so online dynamic pricing caused the price to rise based on actual and perceived demand. I just looked and saw the $79 price. Not that it’s a bad price, but at $45 I‘d have bought one for future use on a carving bench. At $79, I’ll wait until I need it.

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
I revisited the site and searched "Front Vise," and the results page shows an ad that indicates the price is $45. However, upon clicking that ad, the page that opens shows the $79 price. I suspect that the pricing robots are not talking to the graphics robots, and, as JRedding theorized, there's some algorithm at work that tweaks pricing based on clicks and purchases.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

This is one of two vises that I have on my main workbench. It is a decent vise for most projects, but unlike my Jorgensen vise, the vise does not apply force equally across the jaws of the vise. If you place what you are clamping on the right or left side of the vise, the vise opening will distort as you tighten it. My Jorgensen vise does not do this. I continue to use this vise, but I don't think that I would buy another one.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Anyone order an extra one at the $45 price point I could work a deal for? Building a new workbench that this this would be a good add-on but I do not know that these are worth it at $79.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I would call them out on it. It still shows 45$ in some areas of the website. I think that they should honor that price.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
This is one of two vises that I have on my main workbench. It is a decent vise for most projects, but unlike my Jorgensen vise, the vise does not apply force equally across the jaws of the vise. If you place what you are clamping on the right or left side of the vise, the vise opening will distort as you tighten it. My Jorgensen vise does not do this. I continue to use this vise, but I don't think that I would buy another one.
There's nothing like a real user review! Thanks.

I would have no real basis for expectations, as I have not been much of a vise user (vises are not among my many vices - yet).

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
The vises on my bench at Haywood CC rack like this. I work mostly with 3/4" stock, so I sawed a block, drilled a hole through it for a dowel to keep it from falling through the jaws, and when I'm using it the faces clamp evenly if I put the block on the far end. However, I'm looking at my $45 specials as starter vises--I do not have a bench at home yet so I'm going to cobble something together. When I get sorted out, I may spring for a nicer vise if I'm tired of fooling with the racking.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The vises on my bench at Haywood CC rack like this. I work mostly with 3/4" stock, so I sawed a block, drilled a hole through it for a dowel to keep it from falling through the jaws, and when I'm using it the faces clamp evenly if I put the block on the far end. However, I'm looking at my $45 specials as starter vises--I do not have a bench at home yet so I'm going to cobble something together. When I get sorted out, I may spring for a nicer vise if I'm tired of fooling with the racking.
For the most part, the racking is not a big problem. It is more of an irritant, especially when compared to my Jorgensen vise. I have a smaller vise that is not currently installed, not a name brand, and it has no issues with racking.

jlcrtr

James
User
Ordered, as I'm finishing the base on my first workbench. Next the top and then a bottom shelf. Never had a workbench or vise before. Excited to get this SYP bench up and running.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS