Shop database app

jgt1942

John
User
I'm looking an app to record my shop contents and would appreciate suggestions and comments. As I get older the thoughts of giving up on woodworking or the visit from the grim reaper become more real. I don't have a family member that would like to receive my shop contents, thus the only option is for the family to sell everything. I'd like to record everything with pictures, misc information, possible value, web links to supplier, and whatever else that would be helpful for them to make better decisions.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

danceswithwindows

danceswithwindows
Corporate Member
Certainly interested to hear what responses you get here. I use a program called obsidian to manage notes and files in my work and my hobby woodworking. I could see how it could be utilized for your needs, but it is not a direct solution and has a learning curve.

jgt1942

John
User
Hopefully I can find something that is easy to use. Computers have a great loved place for me, I cannot say the same for family members. Lol

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can buy a RFID package/ We had one at my last job, but TBH a spread sheet and a video of your contents is the easiest way.

AlanJ

New User
Alan
Ive created and used microsoft access to do linked images and websites. Its a big learning curve to get to what you want however.
and your family might not use it anyway. Probably a simple spreadsheet liting your shop tools original price and your estimated current worth. I have first hand experience trying to deal with a big collection after a family member passes. Its not easy to do and it takes quite a bit of time to have buyers come. Something your family may not have. If you are unable to use most of the tools you might consider slowly downsizing until the list of things is managable.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I use a product called HomeManage. It has a lot more features than I need but is inexpensive, easy to learn and allows me to keep track of the information I want. Things like serial numbers, model numbers and where I bought something. It allows for upload of photographs. I usually include a shot of my receipt. You can custom organize into areas or rooms within your house and sort items by area. I even use it to keep track of my turning wood inventory.

TBone

New User
Tommy
You can list your items in a spreadsheet. For those not experienced in databases, it's much easier. You can place a picture as a comment, in Excel, so that when you roll the mouse over the cell, the picture will show. I like 2 pictures per item, one of the item and one is a closeup of the serial number, model number tag.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Another +1 for Microsoft Excel.
You most likely already own it.
In addition to pictures you can imbed internet links. If you chose to you could also scan in owner manuals for tools and link that to each item by adding additional pages to the workbook.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
There's an Android apps called Itemtopia by Itemtopia inc. and Home Inventory by CGroup. I'm going to make an attempt for myself with Itemtopia.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
There's an Android apps called Itemtopia by Itemtopia inc. and Home Inventory by CGroup. I'm going to make an attempt for myself with Itemtopia.
Thanks Steve - I looked for this on the IOS App store and there is an IOS version of Itemtopia. At first glance this looks promising! (ease of use and capabilities)

waitup

New User
Matt
Does this app have ads or a paid membership? If not, how do they make $$? I am always skeptical of "free" services

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does this app have ads or a paid membership? If not, how do they make $$? I am always skeptical of "free" services
They will probably wait until you get you stuff loaded and then... OBTW - it will be $$ per month to maintain...
Or there is a U-haul or Ryder truck backed-up to the house when I get home one evening... o_O (Funny / NOT funny)

Honestly Matt, I am not sure - I didn't see a fee structure - I think there are ads for products they sell (in a "discover" section..)

What would be the benefit of a database vs Excel? Im a software developer, so just speaking from experience- a database is probably overkill for what you want unless you want to put it online. If there is enough interest, I could probably whip up an online database and share it with the community to use (for free). Would that be of any interest? If so, I'd need for like 20 people to be interested, not just one or two.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I looked at it, downloaded it, installed, and played with it a little. They have an enterprise version for sale and there are Amazon links that they get a percentage from. It looks like they may sell some information, but that is not clear. Lots of software companies offer limited free versions to get people interested then sell versions with greater capacity or more features.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
What would be the benefit of a database vs Excel? Im a software developer, so just speaking from experience- a database is probably overkill for what you want unless you want to put it online. If there is enough interest, I could probably whip up an online database and share it with the community to use (for free). Would that be of any interest? If so, I'd need for like 20 people to be interested, not just one or two.
A simple app that would allow 2-3 photos for each entry and descriptions under each photo plus new/paid/sell values with a short general text box would be handy. When you say online database, would that be on a web site? I would prefer a simple app that is on my phone and does not rely on the web.

waitup

New User
Matt
I looked at it, downloaded it, installed, and played with it a little. They have an enterprise version for sale and there are Amazon links that they get a percentage from. It looks like they may sell some information, but that is not clear. Lots of software companies offer limited free versions to get people interested then sell versions with greater capacity or more features.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I can be too cynical for my own good sometimes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS