Shop Crawlers: You are cordially invited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Last month, Marco (VanillaGorilla) wondered whether his bandsaw was showing excessive vibration :eusa_thin. Jeremy (WoodWrangler) wanted to know whether he should get a budget Groz plane, or one of those fancy "Leslie Nielsen" ones :eusa_thin. There are people out there who have never seen a Grr Ripper (shocking!), let alone used one.

This Saturday, thanks to Mr Douglas Robinson, many of us will be going on a shop crawl, which should provide us with an excellent opportunity to see stuff in action. :eusa_clap

I have a pretty small shop, so small in fact I have to give people change after giving them the nickel tour. That doesn't mean I don't have any interesting to see, nothing like a small space to bring out your creativity. But, it's going to be pretty crowded. I want to make sure everyone feels comfortable asking to see and try stuff. We'll have to exercise the usual caution with the power tools, but if you want to see how a Woodslicer blade cuts compared to your Timberwolf, then lets do that. And if you'd like to try moving a table saw mounted on an HTC2000, now is the chance (I think we'll turn the saw off for this one :)). Ever wonder how loud a Harbor Freight dust collector sounds? How a baffle can improve your trash can separator? If those cheap Shark pull saws are any good? Will a Work Sharp really make sharpening chisels that easy? Is the Hokey Pokey really what it is all about?

Also, I'd like this to be a two-way exchange of information. If you have an idea on improving my shop layout, a tool recommendation, a suggestion on how to better set up a piece of equipment, I'd love to hear it! I've found this woodworking thing to be a fairly complex affair, and I'm not proud. Just cheap and loud. Any and all help will be appreciated. There is a great deal of information on the Internet (especially NCWW! :XXcompute), but there is nothing like getting down and dusty with the experts.

BTW - this is not the formal Shop Crawl policy or guideline, just me!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Crawl? What crawl? Do you mean creole? :toothy9:

Seriously. 30 people will NOT fit in my shop at one time. I intend to open the garage door to help. I doubt the TS will be turned on for safety reasons. Other things, we'll see. Feel free to suggest thing (be nice) and ask questions.

Doug

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
30 people might fit in my shop, might be a touch crowded, but......

Bas' offers is the same in my shop. Additionally, any crawlers that need use of a tool are welcome to use mine if I have it while they are here.

Of course, a waiver/limit of liability will need to be signed. Any lawyers on the site that can draw up a waiver for me?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
30 people might fit in my shop, might be a touch crowded, but......

Bas' offers is the same in my shop. Additionally, any crawlers that need use of a tool are welcome to use mine if I have it while they are here.

Of course, a waiver/limit of liability will need to be signed. Any lawyers on the site that can draw up a waiver for me?

Heck Travis, I don't care about how things run in your shop, I want a tutorial on how to talk my wife into big tool purchase .:rotflm:

Jimmy:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Heck Travis, I don't care about how things run in your shop, I want a tutorial on how to talk my wife into big tool purchase .:rotflm:

You have to ensure your significant other knows who is the boss. Don't ask, tell them what you are going to do.

Ummm..... To get the Felder I had to agree to private school for our oldest daughter.

For the jointer, I used the argument I hadn't bought anything major this year. It met with some strange looks, but ultimately, I had to confirm private school was still going to be able to be funded.......:swoon:

Hence why my signature is now that I haven't bought a tool since February 2. Heck, I haven't bought a clamp, pencil, router bit, nothing since February 2nd.:wsad::wsad:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
You have to ensure your significant other knows who is the boss. Don't ask, tell them what you are going to do.

Ummm..... To get the Felder I had to agree to private school for our oldest daughter.

For the jointer, I used the argument I hadn't bought anything major this year. It met with some strange looks, but ultimately, I had to confirm private school was still going to be able to be funded.......:swoon:

Hence why my signature is now that I haven't bought a tool since February 2. Heck, I haven't bought a clamp, pencil, router bit, nothing since February 2nd.:wsad::wsad:

Heck Travis .....I KNOW WHO THE BOSS IS IN MY HOUSE, and it ain't me:rotflm:. By the way I loved your shop and all of the others that I went to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS