Shop Cart Completed - 4/26/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have been working on a shop cart for quite a while now. It started with a sketchup model in this thread (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/s...ight=shop+cart)

Next construction started with a cabinet and drawers in this thread (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55534)
IMG_9923.jpg

This has been done for a while now. Next came the veneering of the top. I picked up some veneer at an auction quite a while ago and have used very little of it. Most of it has been sandwiched between sheets of hardboard and stored away. I left some "scrap" pieces out in a few bundles and I thought this project would be a good time to practice jointing and taping veneer seams. I have never done that before.

These pieces of veneer have some pretty good figure, but they had a few holes and I wasn't sure how they would affect things. Good thing this is a shop project. The holes may just fill in with glue, we will see.
IMG_9928.jpg

Veneer sheets were jointed with a straight board and a veneer saw, then taped using veneer tape.
IMG_9924.jpg IMG_9925.jpg

Ready to put some glue down and get the panel in the vacuum press.
IMG_9930.jpg

I left it in the press for a bit over an hour. Glue needs air to cure, so it just sets in the vacuum press, and cures once it is taken out.
IMG_9932.jpg

After the glue cured. It sat like this for a while because I wasn't really sure how to get the veneer tape off. Sand, scrape, wet the tape, etc. After some research, I ended up wetting the tape and gently scraping it off with a card scraper.
IMG_9933.jpg

Tape is removed without too much trouble.
IMG_9968.jpg

Time for edge banding. I glued on over sized pieces two at a time and flushed them up with a hand plane after the glue dried.
IMG_9999.jpg

I used a flush trim saw to trim the edge banding to length.
IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0003.jpg

Same procedure with the drawers which are currently in progress.
IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Re: Shop Cart - Part 3 - Veneering

Looking good, Jeremy. Shop furniture is a great way to hone your skills and experiment w/ what works and doesn't.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

The shop cart is done. I have put several coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal on it. I might put a couple more coats on the sides and back (those have gotten quite a bit less attention).

Holding the drawer fronts with my hands while trying to flush trim didn't work so well. Nothing a couple clamps couldn't solve.
IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg

I am starting to get the hang of wetting the veneer tape and scraping it off. It really isn't hard to do, but it took a little practice.
IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0015.jpg

This Birdseye Maple veneer really is some pretty stuff. The seams aren't quite perfect, but overall it came out pretty good.
IMG_0027.jpg

The finish didn't quite come out the way that I wanted. I am not exactly sure why. It feels smooth, but when it reflects the light it has a bit of an orange peel look. You can see it a bit in the picture above. I have wiped on General Finishes Arm-R-Seal several times in the past and I have never had this issue. The next project I do will be a furniture piece for the house and it will also use Birdseye Maple veneer, so I will have to make a few test pieces and ensure I get the finish right before I try it on the project. Here are the 5 drawers from top to bottom. Each one gets progressively deeper than the previous.
IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0055.jpg

When I want the shop cart out of the way, it can be stored under the extension wing of the tablesaw.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Great job - that will serve you well. Nice table saw !!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User

That's some awful nice wood to use for a top, pardner.
Brings new meaning to "shop furniture".:)

redknife

New User
Chris

One of the nicer pieces of shop furniture that I've seen. (It looks even better in the loving comfort of that saw). the design would show any spacing flaw yet it looks perfect.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark

Looks quite smart. Like how you arranged the drawer veneers. Adds a lot of visual movement to the piece.

BeachBoy

New User
Jim

Awesome looking cart! And you are so organized! I need something like that in my shop.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Great looking cart - I love that Kaizen foam in the drawers.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy,
That cart is beautiful! (inside and out!)
(shame to "hide" it under the table saw) ha ha

I think I see the seam lines you were talking about - but had you not mentioned them...
I DO NOT see the orange peel you are talking about, but probably hard to see in a picture - did you ask someone who veneers if they have experienced it and determine potential cause?

Where (or how) did you learn to veneer?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Jeremy,
That cart is beautiful! (inside and out!)
(shame to "hide" it under the table saw) ha ha

I think I see the seam lines you were talking about - but had you not mentioned them...
I DO NOT see the orange peel you are talking about, but probably hard to see in a picture - did you ask someone who veneers if they have experienced it and determine potential cause?

Where (or how) did you learn to veneer?

I have not reached out to anyone. That is a good idea. I have a few people in mind. I learned to veneer by reading a book and watching a DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Veneering-Inlay-Techniques/dp/1565233468

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have not reached out to anyone. That is a good idea. I have a few people in mind. I learned to veneer by reading a book and watching a DVD.
http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Veneering-Inlay-Techniques/dp/1565233468

That is just crazy - you have done a great job with just that guidance!

My first thought is the glue and finish not being compatible. (of course they should be, but...)
And ignore anything I say because 1. Veneering scares me and 2. I have NEVER tried to veneer because 3. I didn't want to put a bunch of work into something to simply screw it up because I was trying to glue some wood on it! ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors