Shop Built Clamps - Shop Notes Issue #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Seems like I always need more clamps and kind of like the idea of making my own - has anyone made these from shop notes #6? Are these a waste of time or good project?

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1713/116.JPG
116.JPG

Thanks

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hum,

They Look interesting enough and don't see why they wouldn't work. As long as that bolt is thick enough it should have pretty good holding power without flexing to much.

Now I just wonder how much pressure & stress the wood can handle and for how long before they may split or that block on the back pull through.

Now Hard Maple, may be able to handle all this, I am not an expert for sure.

I sure would make some for myself as I usually add a bunch of clamps without tons of pressure. If it were me I would have added 4 clamps to that picture above.

Jeff Let see your's when you make them and a "how to" if you don't mind.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Hum,

They Look interesting enough and don't see why they wouldn't work. As long as that bolt is thick enough it should have pretty good holding power without flexing to much.

Now I just wonder how much pressure & stress the wood can handle and for how long before they may split or that block on the back pull through.

Now Hard Maple, may be able to handle all this, I am not an expert for sure.

I sure would make some for myself as I usually add a bunch of clamps without tons of pressure. If it were me I would have added 4 clamps to that picture above.

Jeff Let see your's when you make them and a "how to" if you don't mind.

Make them out of PH and IPE they wouldnt break, the piece your clamping would break first:gar-La;

4yanks

New User
Willie
I don't think that there is any question that they'll work. I have an old set of "Pony" brand bar clamps that are mostly made of wood (Maple). I think the question is, are they worth it. I imagine the cost of clear hardwood, hardware, and the time to make them would far exceed the cost of some new pipe clamps.

Sully

New User
jay
I think the time and $ would be better spent making a good caul to use with commercial clamps.

I can't imagine those shop-made clamps would be cost effective in the long run. For panel glue-ups, opposing wedges are fast and cheap.

J

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I think they would work fine and be easy, cheap and fast to make. I would swap out the solid wood for scrap 3/4" plywood to add strength and laminate a few sections for the heads. The hardware is cheap on these as there is perforated straping running most of the length and the clamp head drops into the holes on the strapping for the rough adjustment. Each clamp uses an 8" section of 3/8" threaded rod with a flat ground on one end to attach to the perf'd strapping for fine adjustment.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I think they would work fine and be easy, cheap and fast to make. I would swap out the solid wood for scrap 3/4" plywood to add strength and laminate a few sections for the heads. The hardware is cheap on these as there is perforated straping running most of the length and the clamp head drops into the holes on the strapping for the rough adjustment. Each clamp uses an 8" section of 3/8" threaded rod with a flat ground on one end to attach to the perf'd strapping for fine adjustment.

I'm leaning twords your thoughts. They would be less expensive than even cheap bar clams after you buy the pipe. Plus it looks pretty easy to make - easy is for me :) I was thinking (dangerous I know) instead of the center being open and square that a dovetail or a rabbit for the clamp head to slide in would be better. Bore two holes in the clamp head and use steel pins instead of screws like is shown in the plans. Lift up the pins slide the clamp head to the desired set of holes in the perforated strap and push down the pins and clamp away. Wished I could post the plans for this to open up a really good discussion but they are copyrighted :(

Here's another one to throw into the mix...

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/print_etip021601sn.html

Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I needed a couple 6 foot clamps for something (forgot what it was) and just made them out of 2x4 pine. They worked great. I nailed a block at each end and cut some wedges to drive in between.

Cheap, quick, effective and recyclable. What more could you want? Adjustable.

Just drill holes where you need them to bolt the blocks and you got it.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Here's my shop-made clamps. I made 6 of them for about $30 worth of hardware. I used 5/8" threaded rods which I bought at Lowes. The 1/2" pins were cut from 1/2" bolts. I used 6/4 white oak - only because that's what I had that was expendable. They have a 42" clamping capacity. They work okay, but the oak flexes a bit when tightened; thereby making the jaws a bit off square when tightened heavily. I guess I could reinforce them. The basic plans for these is in one of the Wood magazines, but I dunno which issue. The rods in the plans call for Acme rods (the kind of coarse threaded rods used on vices and good commercial clamps) but these are very expensive, and hard to find. Would I make these again? Probably not, but they are nice when a long clamp is needed.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's my shop-made clamps. I made 6 of them for about $30 worth of hardware. I used 5/8" threaded rods which I bought at Lowes. The 1/2" pins were cut from 1/2" bolts. I used 6/4 white oak - only because that's what I had that was expendable. They have a 42" clamping capacity. They work okay, but the oak flexes a bit when tightened; thereby making the jaws a bit off square when tightened heavily. I guess I could reinforce them. The basic plans for these is in one of the Wood magazines, but I dunno which issue. The rods in the plans call for Acme rods (the kind of coarse threaded rods used on vices and good commercial clamps) but these are very expensive, and hard to find. Would I make these again? Probably not, but they are nice when a long clamp is needed.

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

Matt thanks for posting - I most likely have all the materials to build these, without having go buy Chinese screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors