Shop bathroom door (update) *w/new pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I finally got around to working on the door to my shop bathroom. In keeping with the A&C theme I tried to design the door in that style. I'm using the last of the oak from my lot. Needless to say this stuff has a lot of knots, splits, and worm holes. I am making the door 1 3/8" thick- standard for an interior door- with the recessed panels 3/4" thick. This thing is going to be heavy. Everything is cut to size. The panel grooves and stub tenons on the field stiles are cut. Since this picture was taken I cut the 2 1/2" long tenons on the ends of the rails. All that remains is to cut the mortises in the stiles and glue this thing up.

BathDoor-1.JPG

BathDoor-2.JPG

Today I cut the mortises in the rails, sanded the inset panels, and glued it all up. Here is the door still in the clamps. Was somebody asking about how to extend clamps for long assemblies? check out the pipe clamps.

BathDoor-3.JPG

I did some initial sanding of the rail and stile intersections, but may take it to a local cabinet shop and see if they will run it through a wide belt sander for me. It came out ok for a shop door. Speaking of crescent moons- I was actually going to (and may still) cut one in the center upper panel. :lol:

BathDoor-4.JPG

woodrat

New User
Archie
Re: Shop bathroom door

Wow!! A bathroom in the shop?? :lol:

All I have is a gallon milk jug. :slap:

J

jeff...

I have a bunch of bathrooms but there all outside and none of them flush :lol:

sawman

New User
Albert

I wish my bathroom door in the house looked that nice. Did you clean the shop up prior to taking pics?

:saw:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose

Alan, your shop never ceases to amaze me. I would love to see it some day. My bathroom is just out side the back door if no one is looking.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Cool. How are you fastening stiles and rails? Loose tenons?

I'm using blind M & T. I hadn't cut the shoulders and cheeks for the 2 1/2" long tenons at the ends of the rails when I took the pic. The main stiles are 4 1/2" wide but my mortiser chisels will only cut a mortise slightly over 2 1/2" deep so that limited the depth of my mortises (since I didn't want through mortises which I could have cut from both sides.) I plan to cut the mortises slightly longer than the width of the tenons, however, because I want to make sure I can clamp the center door structure tight, top to bottom, to get a tight joints where the short panel stiles meet rails in the center- and I don't trust my measuring and marking.

On the shop door I made a few months ago I tried to dowel it after it was glued up by drilling holes from the outside edges of the stiles. What a disaster- once they were loaded with glue, I could barely drive in the dowels, so I decided to try M&T on this door. It should be much stronger- it will need to be, because it is going to be HEAVY!!!

sapwood

New User
Roger

Looks great Alan :icon_thum
Sturdy enough to keep out intruders :lol:
As I looked closely at the pix around the assembly table I noticed SAWDUST. Contrary to the comments of others . . . this is the dirtiest I seen your shop. :roll:

What's next???

Roger

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Looks great Alan :icon_thum
Sturdy enough to keep out intruders :lol:
As I looked closely at the pix around the assembly table I noticed SAWDUST. Contrary to the comments of others . . . this is the dirtiest I seen your shop. :roll:

What's next???

Roger

You should see the pile of shavings over by the mortiser and the infeed side of the table saw- it looks like I actually build things there! :lol::lol::lol:

Once I finish the bathroom door I need to make and install a jamb, hang the sucker, then trim it out with casing. Then it is on to the office door, which will be another 1/2 glass door. I've already got it designed and made a cut list, but I have to decide whether to take a chance and use some of my new oak, which is still at 20+% MC- its only for a shop door, right? :eusa_thin:eusa_thin

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Do I sense a missing element in this?

Where is the quarter moon cut out in the door?

All the finest outhouses have them.

Jim

J

jeff...

:lol::lol::lol: your right where's the quarter moon? Maybe Alan will make one out of black walnut and put it on the door.

J

jeff...

Just a tiny office, maybe 5' X 8'- room enough for a very small desk, a chair, and one filing cabinet.

I was thinking about cutting a crescent moon in the top, center panel. :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe just attach a chunk of crescent moon shaped black walnut or ebony, something dark would look pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS