Shellac mixing guide

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I added a PDF with a couple of tables for mixing and thinning shellac in the resources. Download and print the resource to hang in your shop if you like. That's what I plan to do. It's a quick way to get the right ratios when mixing your own shellac.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks much!
What cut is used for sanding sealer?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
A 1pound cut would be used as a sealer, you can go a little higher but not much. You need to understand a sanding sealer as we know it commercially has soap added to it. This is added to keep your sand paper from clogging and you use less paper. The down side is the commercial sanding sealer is softer than shellac alone when cured.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Graywolf. Thank you. I've been cutting Zinsser in half with DN to make sanding sealer.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Graywolf. Thank you. I've been cutting Zinsser in half with DN to make sanding sealer.
The Zinsser product you are using, is it seal coat or just shellac? The reason I ask is this, Zinsser shellac is usually a if I remember correctly a 3pound cut and is not a de-waxed shellac. This can effect bonding of other products. Your mileage may vary, FYI.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
shellac.
obviously I need schooling!

Last edited:

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
Zinssers Bulls Eye makes two types of shellac, Shellac which does have wax and the de-waxed shellac product called Seal Coat which works very well. Both are shellac but to eliminate confusion Zinssers adjusted the name and it comes in qt to gl.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I added a PDF with a couple of tables for mixing and thinning shellac in the resources. Download and print the resource to hang in your shop if you like. That's what I plan to do. It's a quick way to get the right ratios when mixing your own shellac.
Thank you Jim,
I just did some work with Shellac- I guess I should post it and it was kind of confusing...
I will print this and hang it up for next time... MUCH easier!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS