Shed Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hey all,

We moved recently, and am in desperate need of a storage shed (need to get these bikes and lawn equipment OUT OF THE SHOP!). Anyway, I moved into an HOA that requires the siding/roof match the house. House is vinyl sided, so I am having trouble finding a builder to do it (most seem to offer those pre-fab "heartland" buildings, or similar). Only person I have found is Jerry Jones with "Freds Sheds" in Newport, but getting them to return a call or come out and asses the location has been like pulling teeth!

Anyone know of a contractor, framer, or a shed builder who can come build me a simple shed? I could do it, built the shed at our old house, but I really don't have the time or drive and would rather just pay to have the job done at this point.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Could you get one of the "pre-fab" sheds and then put vinyl siding on. You would have to specify the roof they use to build the shed.

George

jrfuda

New User
John
I just had a 10x24 shed from Leonard out of Mt Airy delivered this morning. Took about 6 weeks from when I ordered and it was built exactly to my specifications - matches my house perfectly (my preference, no HOA for me). I used my local Leonard dealer here in Fayetteville, but the sheds are factory built in Mt Airy. Construction is very good and the driver did an excellent job placing and leveling the building for me. If you have a local dealer, they may have a shed that meets your needs already on the lot. They also rent/lease sheds and will have formerly leased sheds for a really good discount.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My son belongs to an HOA He bought a kit and sided it to match. Your HOA can tell you who to call. Also, drive around the neighborhood and have a look. Maybe strike up a conversation.

ste6168

New User
Mike
My son belongs to an HOA He bought a kit and sided it to match. Your HOA can tell you who to call. Also, drive around the neighborhood and have a look. Maybe strike up a conversation.

Morehead City, moved about 1/4 mile around the corner, slightly bigger house, bigger shop (2 car vs 1 car), smaller yard.

You moved from Morehead City and where are you located now?

I have talked to a few of the neighbors with sheds, Freds Sheds seemed to have been highly recommended by several, but I can't buy a callback. Maybe it's just me, but if I have to hunt down a contractor, whether the best in the business or not, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Could you get one of the "pre-fab" sheds and then put vinyl siding on. You would have to specify the roof they use to build the shed.

George

I have thought about going this route, but I feel like I would be "paying twice" so to speak. Though, I guess the vinyl siding for a small-ish shed wouldn't be all that much.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
have you talked to the HOA to make sure they really stick by their covenants? I am in a neighborhood with an HOA with the same shed requirement as yours and my neighbor built a shed 6+ years ago that doesn't match anything and they never said anything to him.

ste6168

New User
Mike
have you talked to the HOA to make sure they really stick by their covenants? I am in a neighborhood with an HOA with the same shed requirement as yours and my neighbor built a shed 6+ years ago that doesn't match anything and they never said anything to him.

I haven't, but if you look around, everyones matches. Personal preference for me would be to have it match anyway, even if it costs a little more up-front.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Speaking from a painful experience with our HOA, please make sure that you get an approval for your shed before investing any money, and verify the conditions they want to impose. I bought the shed after getting approval, and then they tried to rescind approval stating that the shed was 'too' visible from the road, even though the approval letter stated no requirements of the sort. We had to hire an attorney to get the hoa off our backs.

Oh, also, try sheddepotnc.com

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Any thought of just making it yourself? I need to move mine and I see it as a DIY thing, not a contractor thing. I bought a framing nailer from HF (about $60) for my stair rebuild this year. It wouldn't be absolutely necessary but it speeds things up and saves wear and tear on my old joints. I believe I have all the other required tools. I always underestimate the time required but a simple wood framed vinyl sided shed shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 weekends. I may use up some brick salvaged from my house which will slow me down a lot. I am so bad at brick laying I should farm that out if I do it. I prefer furniture making but I do house projects like this when I need them. The techniques are crude but progress is rapid.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Any thought of just making it yourself? I need to move mine and I see it as a DIY thing, not a contractor thing. I bought a framing nailer from HF (about $60) for my stair rebuild this year. It wouldn't be absolutely necessary but it speeds things up and saves wear and tear on my old joints. I believe I have all the other required tools. I always underestimate the time required but a simple wood framed vinyl sided shed shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 weekends. I may use up some brick salvaged from my house which will slow me down a lot. I am so bad at brick laying I should farm that out if I do it. I prefer furniture making but I do house projects like this when I need them. The techniques are crude but progress is rapid.

Yeah, I have thought about it, and I may still. I built the shed at my last house, wasn't vinyl sided, just used some of that pre-primers siding board. I could do it, no doubt, own a Hitachi framing nailer myself, just one of those things I don't want to do, and would rather just pay someone. However, if I wait until it cools off a bit outside, I may just go ahead and do it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Two houses ago I pulled old caulking aluminum siding off three sides of our house and put up vinyl (the other side was brick). I found installation of vinyl siding to be very easy. It was a two story house so I used pump jacks to get me to the right elevation but other than that, it was not hard at all. I mostly used my RAS to cut it but you can cut it easily with tin snips or a hand saw.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
So if you do go at it yourself to match the house, how would you go about finding the exact matching vinyl?

ste6168

New User
Mike
So if you do go at it yourself to match the house, how would you go about finding the exact matching vinyl?

I spoke with the HOA, doesn't need to be an exact match, just similar. Our house is white dutch lap siding, so the stuff off the shelf from Lowes/HD would be perfectly acceptable. Same with the roof, just needs to be similar in color, same style, ours is a brown architectural, should be a relatively easy match.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I did this >20 years ago but at the time they sold a very thin foam board - like 1/4 inch - that I put under the siding just to help with not pinching it too tight to the waferboard. That was the only slightly tricky thing - you do not nail the siding hard to the sheathing. So you have to nail by hand. But it isn't all that many nails, only the top is nailed and then only every foot or so. I used white corners and J-bead and an off-white siding my wife liked. I think it was dutch lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS