Sharpening upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like to sharpen by hand on DMT diamond stones, but when I need to regrind to repair a chip or change an angle I used a Worksharp 3000. However I find the flat grind the Worksharp produces is harder to hand sharpen/hone than a hollow grind. The only method I had to produce a hollow grind is my standard grinder (great for turning tools but too fast for chisels and plane irons. I also have a Jet slow speed wet grinder, a Tormek look-alike that is very slow and sloppy to use.
So I upgraded the Jet by removing the wet wheel and water sump and installed a 10" CBN wheel from Ken Rizza at Wood Turners Wonders. I went with the 600 grit that I worried would be a little slow - while certainly not as fast as my standard grinder, it is proving to be just perfect.

Here are some photos of my first test. I grabbed a very damaged chisel that was badly chipped and I brought it back to new in about 5 minutes

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 282

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Phil, Interesting upgrade to a Tormek clone. Mine sits unused because it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps a CBN would change that.

BTW, what happened to that chisel? I sure hope I never end up grinding an edge in that condition!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, Interesting upgrade to a Tormek clone. Mine sits unused because it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps a CBN would change that.

BTW, what happened to that chisel? I sure hope I never end up grinding an edge in that condition!

I normally have a couple of chisels in my tool bag that I have on job sites. My subs borrow to do whatever and they get trashed quite quickly - I have one Two Cherries chisel in my tool bag, I keep that fairly hidden.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I normally have a couple of chisels in my tool bag that I have on job sites. My subs borrow to do whatever and they get trashed quite quickly - I have one Two Cherries chisel in my tool bag, I keep that fairly hidden.

It's always good to have a few beater chisels in the toolbox, especially in the business that you're in. I've been really happy to have some in my toolbox during the move from Cary that aren't exactly sharp but are adequate when I had to re-mortise a set of door hinges.

The one in your picture looks like it needed a lot of work. I have a couple like that - not my primary bench chisels, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS