Sharpening Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I have had an area for sharpening in my shop for awhile, but it was not ideal. When I built a new workbench in 2014, I intended to get rid of the old bench I had been using, but half of it became a place to sharpen, and the other half collected junk. I still need to get rid of that bench for space reasons, so I knew I needed a place to sharpen stuff.

I visited the Habitat for Humanity store in Cary, thinking I might find a granite sink cut-out or something to use as a top. Amazingly, there was a beautiful 25 x 25 inch piece of granite, with fully finished edges, ready to go. And only $28. Sold!! I knew I wanted something rock-solid and heavy, so I got some 4/4 and 8/4 hard maple at Klingspor and built a cabinet under the top. The legs are 3-1/2 x 1-3/4 and all the joinery on the sides are mortise and tenon. The side panels join the cross pieces on the front and back with 5/16" bolts going in to barrel nuts.

There are 3 drawers and a door made of reclaimed wormy chestnut. The door is made of one piece of the chestnut that began as a very cupped 14" wide board.

Here are a few photos.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Flattening the door:

attachment.php
attachment.php

My old sharpening area:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 368

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great looking setup, Bill. I know I pay a lot more attention to keeping my tools sharp since I set up a dedicated sharpening station.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice - on my TODO list for the new shop also. I need to take some stuff to the Restore - guess I should look around while I'm there.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love it, great cabinet, and really cool find at habitat.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Nice! You can use the top with some sandpaper for flattening, no?

Thanks. I have a black granite block there on the top of the stand that is flattened to some crazy tolerance that I use with sandpaper when that is needed. I suspect the granite top would also work fine.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill,
That is a GREAT project and superior execution! (Love the wormy chestnut!)

bash

New User
bash
Thanks for sharing this. After seeing it, a sharpening station just jumped every other shop improvement build on my list.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
A real nice build and for me, an idea from you for a build whose time has come. The dedicated sharpening station keeps the whole sharpening thing confined to one specific place. Although I like to keep all the tools, chisels, knives, blades, etc. sharp, everything is far too spread out. Getting it all in one specific location is the way to go. Now all I need is to find an area in the shop to make a "sharpening station" and go for it. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS