Share one project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I know there are a lot of beginners that have joined here recently, and in response to Ken's thread, Why don't we each share one of our projects (that we have WIP pictures of), how we did it and which tools we used.

I guess I'll go first. :rotflm:

Project: Jatoba, king-sized, platform bed

pics_484.jpg

This wood was originally three pieces. Two were about 8/4" x 6"x 10'. The other was a slab. Probably thicker than 8/4" x 16" x 12'. I had the guys at Anchor Hardwoods mill them down to about where I needed them. I'm not setup to resaw/plane/joint boards like that.

I started by measuring the mattress, how high I wanted it off the floor, etc. From there, I drew a rough sketch and calculated how much wood I needed. A good rule of thumb is to always get more wood than you need in case you make a mistake. :BangHead:

bed_020.jpg

I started by making the headboard and footboard. Cut the boards to length (including the tenons) using the miter saw. These were originally 4 boards. I looked at the grain and matched them up the best I could. I used a table saw to saw out a groove on the edges that were going to be joined. Then I cut off a tongue to fit in the groove. I used tightbond 2 and glued them up using pipe clamps.

bed_002.jpg

After that, I glued up the posts for the headboard and footboard. All cuts were made on the miter saw and table saw.

bed_009.jpg

Then it was time to make the tenons on the headboard and footboard. I used a router with a straight bit and a "fence" to do the long sections. For the sides, I just cut them out with a coping saw.

bed_007.jpg

Then it was time to make the mortises in the posts that would receive the tenons. There are several methods of doing this, but I used a drill and a chisel. Draw a centerline and center your drill bit on that line. To control the depth, I measured how deep I wanted to go on the drill bit and wrapped a strip of duct tape around the bit so I knew when to stop. I then cleaned them up with a chisel.

bed_014.jpg

I used strap clamps to glue up the head and footboards to the posts.

bed_022.jpg

Since I didn't have enough wood left, I edge-glued the board at the top and I think I used 1" dowel rods to keep them in line.

bed_028.jpg

I wanted to add a little decorative piece between the top of the headboard and the top board, so I cut that out on the tablesaw and MS and used dowel rods to keep it in line for the glue up.

bed_025.jpg

I can't find a picture of when I glued the top board onto the headboard, but I think I used dowel rods for that too.

After that, I made some decorative caps to go on the tops of the footboard posts and the bottoms of every post. I cut them out on the tablesaw and MS and rounded them over on the router table using a roundover bit.

bed_029.jpg

Then I made some shoe molding. I did this by taking a board and running it across the RT with a roundover bit. Then I cut the strip on the tablesaw.

bed_026.jpg

I then glued the caps on using two dowel rods per cap to keep them from turning if they ever came lose.

bed_027.jpg

I then cut the shoe molding on the MS and initially tried drilling pilot holes for nails, but was breaking drill bits trying to drill pilot holes. :swoon: So I ended up just gluing it. :gar-La;

bed_032.jpg

The side rails are connected to the head and footboard posts with mortise/tenon joints (not glued) :nah: and secured with corner braces. I cut a thing strip of pine on the tablesaw and screwed/glued that to the side rails to house the slats. I then made a center support piece that more or less resembles a floor truss. On top of the slats were two sheets of plywood that I cut with a circular saw.

bed_043.jpg

I sanded using the random orbit sander. Starting with 60 grit and going up to 220. Then I sanded by hand up to 600. Cleaned it off with compressed air and mineral spirits. I applied one coat of Tung Oil with a lent-free applicator pad. Let that dry over night. Lightly sanded with 0000 Steel Wool. Cleaned that off with a rag and applied another coat.

bed_036.jpg

And that's about it. I hope this has been somewhat informative. Got a bunch of phone calls while trying to do this post, so hopefully it made sense. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Just what I was talking about. I feel like I could go out and make one now. I just need a miter saw, chisels, clamps, wood! :)

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Just what I was talking about. I feel like I could go out and make one now. I just need a miter saw, chisels, clamps, wood! :)

Ken, no problem. I forgot to mention that I did use my planer to plane down a few pieces. :embaresse

I hope some others can jump in on this thread. :eusa_pray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Ken,

This is how you create the opportunity for you to go to SWMBO and say, "I could build one of these for you ... if I just had one more tool..."

:gar-Bi

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice Trent, but you don't want me to post in this thread. For every project I start, I get 5 or 6 new tools....

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I really wish someone would take the time to post one project they have done. I think WIP pics help, but less pics and more description would be cool too. Surely there has to be one project, no matter what "genre" it is or what level it is, that you can dig up a few pictures and give a nice description of how you made it. Come on, take a few minutes and share one project. It doesn't have to be complicated. Just how you turned a pen or a simple table you made. Take a few minutes to help further the skills of the newer folks. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a WIP that I have been documenting a little as I go. Project is not complete yet.

I may be able to dig up some old project pics and try to explain what I did. Let me see what I can come up with.

BTW, I have been following this thread hoping to see some other folk's work. Like Trent said, post something, anything. Lot's of folks would be interesting in seeing how others get things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS