Shaper Origin Hands-on Training?

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
A bit ago I purchased a Shaper Origin. I am pretty familiar with it at this point, doing the basic rookie stuff. I was wondering if there were anyone out there that offers a one on one class for this machine. so I can move past the very basics? If there is a proficient woodworker that would be willing to teach me one on one, either at my shop or their shop, I'd make it worth their while. I can only watch so many YouTube videos!!!

Thanks!

Jeff

mpeele

michael
User
I have had on since last December. At the time I got mine there was only one other forum member that had one, I was the second and it seems you may be the third. I don't know if I'm any more advances than you but willing to share what experience I have. What are you looking for?

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
Michael, I am looking to do joinery with the device. They make it look so easy on all the YouTubes!! How did you learn how to use yours? I am kind of sick of watching YouTubes, and have taken to just practicing with it in the air cut mode for awhile.

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I have one that I got for use with/by students where I teach. I’ve had it since December. It got a lot of use this summer when I ran a two week workshop with it. Which is a way around saying I’m no expert but I’ve used it and led kids through using it for a variety of projects. Depending on what kind of joinery you want to do and where you’re located I may be able to help.

M&T no problem. Dovetails- haven’t tried. Box joints I’ve done once. Inlays - done several.

mpeele

michael
User
I had somewhat different initial objectives for the SO. My initial interest was for making jigs and fixtures but I'll probably use it for some joinery.

I to have watched a lot of youtube but they all lack some needed basic information. That I had to get by doing some actual cutting. For that I bought a sheet of 3/4" MDF and made spoil boards for the SO work station. I made a total of 10 using 3 different I got from ShaperHub. Air Cut is a good place to start and I have done my share of that to get confrontable with SO and all of its feature.

I don't know how much you have used ShaperHub but it is a fantastic resource. If you have a question Shaper Community probably already has an answer and if one is not there just ask. I find the Shaper Sessions well worth the time and try to make all of the Thursday live sessions. Shaper staff or viewers will answer any question you have.

To get an idea on how accurate SO really is I made some fixtures for my MFT style work bench. I will say that it can make a 19.5 mm holes spaced 96 mm apart that match up to the ones I made with my UJK Parf Guide.

If would really be a lot easier if we just did a video chat. If you want to just pm me with your contact info and I'll set one up.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Michael, depending on when you guys do the video chat, I wouldn't mind being on that too. I've also got the Shaper Origin but have not yet used it for box joints. I've done a few projects and some jigs. Also update SO to Inverness firmware.

mpeele

michael
User
Michael, depending on when you guys do the video chat, I wouldn't mind being on that too. I've also got the Shaper Origin but have not yet used it for box joints. I've done a few projects and some jigs. Also update SO to Inverness firmware.
Sure will, you still have that terrible affection call a job?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS