Shaken Trees: Ship Building vs. Furniture Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
One of my hobbies, other than woodworking, is building model ships, especially 18th century sailing ships. As a consequence, this past week I had the opportunity to visit Mystic Seaport (Connecticut) and Boston to see some of these ships in-person. It was a great experience to see and tour the USS Constitution, built in 1797 and still on the Navy's list of commissioned warships! I also had the opportunity to watch as skilled craftsmen were refurbishing the Mayflower II (Mystic Seaport). Although they use modern power tools to cut and milling huge timber slabs, they use the old traditional techniques for shaping, bending and fastening planks to the ship's frame. It was amazing to see how 2.75", quarter-sawn, white oak planks were bent to conform to the ship and held in place with huge wooden treenails (trunnels). The oak planking is steamed for almost three hours (1 hour/inch) prior to bending.

During the course of watching this work, I asked where they sourced their wood. I was surprised to learn that the white oak and live oak come from the aftermath of various hurricanes the south has experienced over the past decade. I use the word "surprised" because I recall reading posts on this site about "Shaken Tree Defect", which is the result of internal stress experienced by trees shaken and toppled during major storms events. It is my understanding that wood from such trees is often not suitable for making furniture due to the potential for excessive cracking and checking. Given the fact the cracking and checking would also be undesirable defects in a ship's hull, I am left to wonder how they deal with the problem? While I don't know the answer, perhaps they have a good way to cull through potentially problematic timber or the sheer size of the slabs they work with are less prone to problems than the thicknesses typically used by most woodworkers. Whatever the case, for those of you interested in seeing craftsmanship on a large scale, I recommend the trip!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0435.jpg
    DSC_0435.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC_0434.jpg
    DSC_0434.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 391

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That scarf joint (is that right?) is CRAZY knowing the size of that beam!
Donn, did you ask or do you know what glue they use?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Mystic Seaport is a facinating place to spend a day or three. Boston ain't bad either. Last time I was in Boston, many years ago, the Constitution was closed to the public so we didn't get to see all see the details you did.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder what "Shamrock" has to say about it - he is right up there isn't he?

Also our "SubGuy - Zach" can probably weigh-in on this thread?!

Now I am REALLY curious - how they deal with "Shaken Tree Defect" and unfortunately I didn't really care about it at 8:00 this evening!!:swoon:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That scarf joint (is that right?) is CRAZY knowing the size of that beam!
Donn, did you ask or do you know what glue they use?

Hank, I didn't ask about the use of an adhesive, but to the best of my knowledge they don't use any (at least I didn't see any being used). The planks are bent to conform to the ribs, held in place with clamps, holes are drilled into the planks/ribs, and then treenails driven in place and wedged.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Many years ago (back in the late 70's) I attended a course on Small Boat Building at Mystic Seaport taught by John Gardner who not only was well known as a marine boat builder, he actually served on the Charles W. Morgan which is on exhibit at the Seaport. I learned many of the basics of small boat construction, but sadly never put that knowledge to work. If you ever get a chance to visit their collections, it is worth a long visit.

By the way, it appears to me that there is an adhesive in the scarf joint in the photo above; it looks like a waterproof resorcinol glue to me which is commonly used in small boat building.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Donn I have been down the seaport road several times in the areas you mention and the Strawberry Banke in NH. I would like to return and see some of the small craft that John Gardner was working back in the 1970 period. I've heard many of the dories he built were used and then returned to the museum for display and education.

Years later I returned to Mystic to work on the Armistad. It was a long process and I came up to work on several occasions over the 2 year build. During that major project, not an exact replica, we had lots of "donated" wood in the yard. Some of it was just gorgeous but it was storm wood.

Many inexperienced workers thought wind-shakes in the log were like long cracks in the oak logs. Not so. I think a man in the log business like Scott Smith could tell you a thing or two about the twisting troubles of storm trees but I'll leave that to him.

From personal experience, I can tell you how heart breaking it is to buy walnut logs from a man and find they were all storm trees. You can make small projects but large furniture pieces will end in a dull aching pain when you see board cracking.

The only thing that comes to mind that resembles the temptation to fool with shaken trees is flooded cars. You might get lucky but you might have a car that the computer and electrics spent time underwater at some point. It might not show today but down the road you could find yourself more than just frustrated.

I for one will run from storm wood for use on furniture -- especially projects for customers. I don't like my name on things that come apart for odd reasons.

Glad you had a good time at Mystic. If you ever go back, slide down to Yale and see their 18th Century furniture collection. It is my favorite.

later

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Loved Mystic because of the same reasons :D Very few folks know how amazing the craftsmanship is to make a wooden ship! Just the "wood" engineering is awesome, special wood for different purposes, grain orientation alone is mind boggling.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Well, I know the Constitution has a pond (this was a traditional treatment) for the masts. They are selected and hewn and afterward sunk in the pond for years at a time. I want to say if I remember right, they spend upwards of 10-15 years before they are pulled out of the pond for final shaping and installing. Remember also, these ships are exposed to water constantly when out of the drydock. I would think that in itself would prevent alot of cracking and splitting due to the elasticity and swelling induced by the water. Part of the design figures in the swelling and shrinking in the wood with temperature and moisture. The temperature in NE varies greatly. The Mystic Harbor will freeze over in the colder winters and in summer will get in the upper 70's, lower 80's. The chinking is designed to swell and shrink. The hulls leak as well, especially after a drydocking. I was fortunate enough to know many people that worked on the Morgan Project while I was up there. The conversations over pints were stimulating to say the least.
And for the glue, they use traditional pitch distillate variations and combinations of modern adhesives depending on the application. You would have to ask what they used for that one. Morgan has a great story worth reading about. I love visiting the Seaport. I lived about 10 min from it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Not sure if this is the answer, but there is a difference between most white oak and live oak. Live oak has cross-linked grain and is probably the toughest of the white oak family. My personal experience was that I used mostly live oak (from trimming the ones on my property, and storm wood after hurricanes) for my fire place wood when I lived in the FL. panhandle. That meant splitting it, and it was about the most cantankerous wood I have ever dealt with when it comes to trying to rive it with a maul and wedge. Anyone who has tried to split sweet gum with an axe has an inkling of what I am trying to describe. Trying to split anything larger than 12" diameter by hand is almost impossible because the wood does not "split", but has to be physically torn apart.

The nickname "Ol' Ironsides" came not from the hull being iron clad, but from the toughness of the live oak planking used in the hull. Although there are a few stately live oaks left in north Florida, most of them were harvested before and during the civil war for building ships. It was the premium would for keels, and in the case of warships like the Constitution, the entire hull. The areas where these trees were harvested were mainly near the coast due because the best transport was by sea, which also put them growing in areas most subjected to hurricane winds throughout their hundreds-year life (which could be why these trees developed such a tough structure).

From that, i surmise that live oak may be the exception to the rule when it comes to storm shaken syndrome.

One of my impressions from visiting the Constitution many years ago was the low overhead clearance below decks, especially the gun deck. Either the sailors were shorter then, (I do realize many of the powder monkeys were but young lads) or they never were able to stand straight up (and I am a few inches shy of 6'). Made me appreciate the term "close quarters".

Just a thought

Go

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Many inexperienced workers thought wind-shakes in the log were like long cracks in the oak logs. Not so. I think a man in the log business like Scott Smith could tell you a thing or two about the twisting troubles of storm trees but I'll leave that to him.

r

Dan, ask and ye shall receive!

Wind shake in trees occurs when the trees are exposed to extremely high winds, causing their trunks to bend to the point where the wood cells shear inside the trunk along the growth rings. Here is a photo of what wind shake looks like from the end of a log.

attachment.php

In the photo above, you can envision where the tree trunk was bent so significantly that it caused the wood to shear along the growth rings (and in some instances across multiple growth rings such as the sheared portion directly above the pith).

Unfortunately when milling logs with shake, the lumber quality suffers significantly. Here is a photo showing ring shake in a quartersawn white oak board running up the middle, and pith cracking along the left side.

attachment.php

The pith cracking is due to the juvenile wood cells shrinking at a greater rate than the mature wood cells, but the ring shake is due to extreme bending of the tree trunk.

It's not as bad to deal with when the shake runs perpendicular to the surface of the board (such as in the photo above), but when it runs parallel to the face it pretty much destroys the viability of the lumber for woodworking.

Personally, I will not knowingly purchase logs that came from trees that were sheared off from their stumps due to high winds. If the tree was uprooted with the root ball still attached, I will consider the purchase if there are not visible signs of shake.

Attachments

• ring_shake_on_oak_log_large.jpg
    ring_shake_on_oak_log_large.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 336
  • wind shake and pith cracking.jpg
    wind shake and pith cracking.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 309

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks Scott. Maybe the shake isn't a big problem for ship building other than the 2-3" t hull planking which is steam bent, fastened with tunnels, and caulked. ?????

http://www.gundalow.org/making-trunnels/

Not so Jeff. When I was involved with Mystic and the double master I mentioned no trees with any evidence of shake damage would be used. No exceptions. There was a pile of logs and then there wasn't.

You couldn't give them away to timberframers building anything other than dog houses in New Hampshire.

Remember you are not just bending the planking along a fair line you are also twisting it. Wood damaged in wind storms is just not worth the heartbreak of removing a plank between two others.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Dan,

Here's part of the original post by Donn. Well, I guess they cull the wind shake trees as you point out. Where does the soaking pond come into play?

During the course of watching this work, I asked where they sourced their wood. I was surprised to learn that the white oak and live oak come from the aftermath of various hurricanes the south has experienced over the past decade. I use the word "surprised" because I recall reading posts on this site about "Shaken Tree Defect", which is the result of internal stress experienced by trees shaken and toppled during major storms events. It is my understanding that wood from such trees is often not suitable for making furniture due to the potential for excessive cracking and checking. Given the fact the cracking and checking would also be undesirable defects in a ship's hull, I am left to wonder how they deal with the problem? While I don't know the answer, perhaps they have a good way to cull through potentially problematic timber or the sheer size of the slabs they work with are less prone to problems than the thicknesses typically used by most woodworkers.

joec

joe
User
I read an article many years ago about the building of the Constitution. The ship builders would send teams down south to search for the right Live Oak tree that had the perfect large limb, going off to one side. They then would hew the curvature of the ships hull out of the tree trunk and the limb. No scarf joint, just one piece.

awldune

Sam
User
Don't deciduous trees coming down in a hurricane tend to bring the roots with them? Certainly was the case with Fran in central NC.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Great thread! There is a good YouTube on some of the considerations involved with Live Oak milling and ship building. Interesting fellow doing the milling in Georgia and a cool repurposed Sawsall for free handing the large braces. I've heard lots of dialects as I've traveled around the South during my 63 years. His is unique. Kind of a like if Ernest T Bass grew up on Harker's Island-Outer Banks.

[video=youtube;pH37Dep0cvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH37Dep0cvU[/video]

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
This has turned out to be a very interesting and informative thread, I am very appreciative to all those that have contributed. Obviously, Shaken Tree is a real phenomenon and would be extremely problematic to anyone trying to build anything that demands structural integrity. That said, the craftsmen in Mystic report using trees downed by storms; therefore, I can only assume that they can reliably cull timber/slabs/planks/boards before they are made an integral part of the ship. As Dan (danmart77) said, many of the planks are both "bent and twisted", my guess is that if a plank is going to be problematic it would not withstand these stressors.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great thread! There is a good YouTube on some of the considerations involved with Live Oak milling and ship building. Interesting fellow doing the milling in Georgia and a cool repurposed Sawsall for free handing the large braces. I've heard lots of dialects as I've traveled around the South during my 63 years. His is unique. Kind of a like if Ernest T Bass grew up on Harker's Island-Outer Banks.
when he recited the poem, I was just waiting for him to say: "he he he, its me Ernest T"

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Don't deciduous trees coming down in a hurricane tend to bring the roots with them? Certainly was the case with Fran in central NC.

Sam, it depends upon how saturated with water that the ground is. When Fran came through, the high winds followed several days of rain, so the root structures were weakened when the winds hit and were more easily uprooted.

If a hurricane arrives that was not preceded by a lot of rain, then the trunks may shear instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors