Sewing table questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
So my wife would like me to make a sewing table for her. She gave me a picture of something she likes. There's no dimensions so it's basically up to me to make them up. We think the top can be about 48x30.

Looking at the picture it looks like it's plywood, but I was worried about it being able to support a 14 pound sewing machine. It looks like underneath the top it's surrounded by wood for support? If I zoom in I can see on the size it almost looks like the top and support stuff could be an entirely separate piece from the side legs and somehow it's resting on the legs?

On another note, also in the picture the sides don't look like they're dado'd together so I'm curious how they did that - I don't want screws showing. She did like the beadboard look so I thought I could POSSIBLY use screws and then cover that over with some leftover 1/4" bead board I have, but then that glued to the plywood would show on the side.

Just thinking things through and looking for some thoughts.

sewing_table.png

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The top shouldn't have any problem supporting the sewing machine but if you're concerned, you could add a third rail underneath. It's likely that the shelves are in stopped dadoes so from the front they don't look like dadoes. If you need a sketch to get a better idea of how to build it, I could do something. Tell me how tall you want it.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I doodled out a table similar the one in your screen shot. If you make the case sides from plywood, you'll want to put some edge trim on the front. You dado the case sides first, the trim will effectively make stopped dadoes. If you want the beadboard look, you can get beadboard panel so you don't need to add strips to the outside of the case.

Last edited:

dazart

New User
Steve
That's sweet - I was trying to sketch it up, but I couldn't figure out how to get the pieces that are supporting the top to attach to the side parts.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't think those rails attach to the case sides. It looks to me as if they are moved in a bit. They would be attached with screws up through the top of the cases.

I added a center rail because of your concern for supporting the weight of the sewing machine and I closed in the ends of the top support so that dust at least wouldn't be obvious under the top.

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Steve this is what I built for the Mrs a couple years ago. One of the drawerson the right is made with Stainless steel pins to hold different thread spools
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sewing Center.jpg
    Sewing Center.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 287

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Steve, the weight should be no problem even without the rail although I think it looks better. Be careful on the height, (I can't use SketchUp on this computer anymore because the selection tool freezes it up - known problem with Windows 10 & intel chipset video so I can't tell your height) - I built one from the Rockler design which is 29" high. Be aware that while sewing she has to reach the foot pedal. I'd recommend the lift so that she can use the table in your design for a cutting board.

dazart

New User
Steve
She's new to seeing so we're guessing what she needs, but we were thinking 36" so she could stand and use it is she wanted, but you make a good point.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Steve the top is a solid Maple door that I sanded lightly and reaplied a coat of Poly

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
You need to sit down when using a sewing machine. I do girl stuff sometimes.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
To "Piggyback" on what JohnnyR and Berta mentioned, you may want to visit around with a few folks who do a bit of sewing and find out what works for them. Years back, LOML made bears. Layout and cutting was done on the floor (weight and size of fur bolts) but sewing was tabletop height while seated in a very comfortable adjustable height rolling chair.

Not certain that most would use 36" high surface and stand up while sewing.

FWIW, the first photo looks more like a "crafts" table than sewing.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Unskinny Boppy got her "craft" table from a Pier 1 closeout sale. Take a trip to the Ikea store in Charlotte and look at their cubby storage/bookcase ideas and dimensions.

https://unskinnyboppy.com/2012/04/recreating-pottery-barn-style-without-2/

This WIP sequence of pics looks similar to what you want to put together without the start to finish carpentry/woodworking. Here's a 6 unit cubby that's 30" h x 44" w, but there are other sizes available as well.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48906345933406655

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/p...rage-30-cube-unit-bookcase-clop1226.html?piid[0]=21979228&piid=21979228

Put a plywood work surface across the top(s) and your wife will be ready to sew. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS