Sewing kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
My wife just told me she's tired of her sewing "bag" and wanted to get a nice sewing kit. Well.... what a thing to tell a woodworker. Considering the fact, that all I know about sewing.. well.. I know nothing about sewing. Does anyone out there know what a sewing kit "needs" to have in it compartment wise? Links, pictures, anything, anything... otherwise she'll go off and buy one and make me sad. I figure it'll sorta be like a jewerly box.. but what do I know?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
let's see if I can remember mom's old sewing kit. Yours would need nearly a billion little sectioned off compartments, sliding drawers would be a nice touch, and mom's was pink!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
They are very much like a jewelry box crossed with a tackle box. I think that you could do very well with a medium sized case with several lift out trays. Very much like a real tool box, you would want to have larger compartments on the bottom for things like shears and scissors. I would probably include compartments with upright dowels to hold spools and bobbins. Also it would be nice to make compartments that fit baby food jars or something similar for buttons and notions. My wife suggested making some compartments with curved bottoms to make it easier to "scoop" things like pins/needles out of.

Here an example of a couple cheap plastic "vintage" :roll: ones that my wife has
sewingkit.jpg

Dave:)

Last edited:

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I would imagine an old fishing tackle box. My mom used to be a seamstress and she had a sewing kit that opened up and out on two sides. Bunch of little compartment. Curved bottom would help sweep out a needle. If you want to play a trick inlay a magnet under one of the compartment. You can say it will keep her bobbins from moving while she transports it. That aint a bad idea now that I tink about it.:eusa_thin

cskipper

Cathy
Note the upright pegs to hold the different threads. Other than that all I remember from my sewing days (a looooooong time ago) are lift out/fold-out trays with sections, and a large compartment for scissors and stuff.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Long, long ago, when the earth was young... a 'sewing kit' or sewing box was a piece of furniture. This one has been around for quite some time. Three drawers in the middle. Top drawer has a three compartment slide in the top drawer. The sides have tops that flip up (left one is up in the pic). This piece is on the to-do list. It's in serious need of a new finish.

If anyone would like to make a beauty like this one, let me know. You can come over and we'll take all the photos and measurements you want.

Ray

Attachments

• 136-3608_IMG.JPG
    136-3608_IMG.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Wow.. lots to digest. Althought I do admit, I had no idea what a "bobbins" was till I asked a co worker. I'm gonna inspect these pictures closely, and see what I come up with. When I said my wife is tired of her sewing bag. I literally meant a bag. Wal-mart variety, with everything thrown together in there. (Just try to get something out of there without getting stuck). She doesn't sew much, just replace the occasional button, or sew on a patch for the kids. She did say, she would like to get a machine though.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep em comin

J

jeff...

Clay here's one - made of 1/2" I think it was maple stock. The fold out compartments are finger jointed, not to bad to make. If you want, I can take measurements for you. I don't have a plan, this was one of those make it up as you go along projects from several years ago. I see one of the knobs is missing, oh well...

Sorry pics aren't the best I've taken but I think you'll get the concept.

Attachments

• Jul18$05.JPG
    Jul18$05.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Jul18$01.JPG
    Jul18$01.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Jul18$02.JPG
    Jul18$02.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Jul18$04.JPG
    Jul18$04.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 212

DaveO

New User
DaveO
jeff... That is very cool. I really like the design. Great job!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I made mine from a picture, I seem to recall the picture had overall dimentions, (length, width & depth) it was several years ago, I sure would like to have the memory I had when I was in my 20's :eusa_doh:

I'm sure I could have done a better job with a plan. Whoever came up the design did a great job. And I recall I tried to copy what was in the picture. It's a nice box design, with folding compartments and doesn't look like it would take that much lumber to build either. Looking at it, it's mostly small finger jointed pieces.

Thanks

clowman

Clay Lowman
I like the look of the Woodsmith box, anyone have that issue? Maybe I can take that plan and incorporate some of the other ideas listed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors