Serving tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks to gotojeremy for the inspiration to make the serving tray. I wanted to try my hand at edge glueing and using the hand scraper on the maple, purpleheart, and wenge deck.

Tray_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
The purpleheart is a beautiful deep purple now, the camera does not do it justice. The tray bottom is edge glued butt joints, and the end caps and sides are grooves and dadoes. BTW, the purpleheart endcaps on the tray handles were not part of the original design, but after I routed through dadoes instead of stop dadoes:BangHead:, and I really did not want to go back and make new handles, they seemed to be a nice patch to a botched execution.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BTW, the purpleheart endcaps on the tray handles were not part of the original design, but after I routed through dadoes instead of stop dadoes:BangHead:

I thought that was a nice decorative touch :eusa_shhh :eusa_shhh

Dave:)

jglord

New User
John
IMHO - this is a great example of what makes wood working so appealing - Our mistakes give us the opportunity for improvements. Where else does this happen?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Jim. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I like the decorative purpleheart endcaps. Great recovery.

What finish did you use?

Chuck

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
That is beautiful and puts mine to shame! :eusa_clap

I still havn't gotten around to building the rest of the set ... gotta finish these rocking horses I'm working on first! :lol:

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
The finish was 4 coats of tung oil rubbed out with OOOO steel wool, then two coats of poly, and 3 rounds of wax polish. Thanks for the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS