Self-retracting stop block

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
When faced with having to cut 600 short (1.75") pieces from 1.5" x 1.5" planed poplar stock, here is the stop block I used. It retracks so the short piece can't rotate and get grabbed by the blade. It took about 30 minutes to make form scraps around the shop.

It uses the right edge of the sled as the datum to set the cutoff length. A curved rail/track of scrap cherry about 1/8" thick and 3/4" wide bent as shown pushes the stop against the fence when the fence is away from blade and the workpiece is being loaded and allows a spring to retract the block as the fence is pushed to the blade. The spring is held in place by 1/2" dowel rod - use whatever size dowel that fits your spring. The right end of the block has a 1/4" stainless rod inset into it to act as a static bearing to ride on the cherry rail. The spring is tensioned by a scrap piece clamped to the sled fence. Note the wedge used for the cherry rail - this provides a little pre-stressing. The arrow on the blue tape is the max forward position the bearing can be and still properly seat the stop block.

Hope this helps someone needing to (safely) cut short pieces.

Attachments

• End with track follower.jpg
    End with track follower.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 144
  • Fence with ramp track.jpg
    Fence with ramp track.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • Spring tension block.jpg
    Spring tension block.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 143
  • Stop and retractor spring.jpg
    Stop and retractor spring.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 143

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Joe, I think that I need one more pic (maybe a plan view) showing the relationship of the stock, sawblade, and your clever fixture.
TIA

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
That's a very neat idea! I love how this works! It took me a few minutes of reading your text and studying the pics to finally understand how this works. Brilliant!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Joe, that is a very clever idea/jig. It would be great if you could post a brief video showing the device in action.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Here are a few clarifying views.
In the iso views:
The movable stop block is the poplar heading to the left.
The spring tension block is clamped by the leftmost clamp
The clamp in the center of the picture is a hold-down to make sure the stop block doesnt lift. There's maybe 1/32 clearance.
The very light strip in front of the stop keeps the stop against the fence. It is double sided taped to the sled. Again, maybe 1/32 clearance.
You can see there is a little over 1/4" of relief when the block moves back

Attachments

• After cut Iso view.jpg
    After cut Iso view.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 132
  • After cut.jpg
    After cut.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131
  • Stock loaded iso view.jpg
    Stock loaded iso view.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • Stock loaded ready for cut.jpg
    Stock loaded ready for cut.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Joe, that is a very clever idea/jig. It would be great if you could post a brief video showing the device in action.
Will be happy to if I can figure out how to post a video. Anyone know the process?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors