Seeking advice on a hot water heater tank stand

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wife wants to do an extreme bathroom makeover. Part of that would involve moving our hot water heater from a "closet" to the garage. The old "closet" area would then be incorporated into the new expanded bathroom. I guess I have two questions.
1. Can the hot water heater just be put on the garage floor, or do I have to build an elevated platform?
2. If I have to build a platform, where can I find the requirements for the platform? I am sure there is a building code for this.
For the record the hot water heater is a 50 gal electric.

GregB

New User
Greg
Scott, the water heater should be on a platform which will keep the metal separated from concrete as that will rust the bottom of the tank and shorten the lifespan. Many of the big box stores sell platforms just for this or you can build one out of 4x4 legs and frame it out and add a plywood top. A 50 gal tank will have 400lbs of water plus the weight of the tank. Things to consider: the diameter of the water heater and the size of the table because you'll still want access to the drain valve, if it's an electric then power will need to be run, if gas then you'll need a vent, the pressure relief valve can be run out through a back wall or simply into the garage, insulation is vital so plan on a few extra inches of diameter. I'd also contact a plumber to survey the cold and hot water lines before you too far into it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I would put it on a stand just to make the maintenance draining easier. Don't forget the expansion tank. Technically, that is a big enough change in plumbing and electricals that a permit is required. Your choice of course. Just to keep the legs off the floor to prevent rust, a couple vinyl floor tiles would work. In some locals, a GAS heater has to be raised off the floor if in a garage due to the possibility of gasoline fumes along the floor.

I second the gas tankless if it is an option. I was not sure but very happy with mine.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
He stated in the original post it is electric, let's leave the gas out of the discussion for Scott

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
He stated in the original post it is electric, let's leave the gas out of the discussion for Scott

Lot's of homes have gas available but the builder put in electric water heaters, or he could utilize a propane tankless.
I would put it on a stand just to make the maintenance draining easier. Don't forget the expansion tank. Technically, that is a big enough change in plumbing and electricals that a permit is required. Your choice of course. Just to keep the legs off the floor to prevent rust, a couple vinyl floor tiles would work. In some locals, a GAS heater has to be raised off the floor if in a garage due to the possibility of gasoline fumes along the floor.

I second the gas tankless if it is an option. I was not sure but very happy with mine.

Correct, that 100% would need to be permitted.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Most codes want 18 inch off the floor in a garage, fire safety issue, or If in a building. should have a smitty pan under it with a pipe draining out to a floor drain or outside.
All above is required by the city, no grand fathering.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,
Ask the question up-front if an expansion tank is required.
the plumber quoted me a price and I had to pay a BUNCH more for the purchase AND installation of an expansion tank!!!
(as Casey (@Oka) points out a change like this is subject to updated codes)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Being a lic plumbing contractor, expansion tanks are required, for pressurized systems over 30 psi, which is almost all conventional heaters. Typical is 4.5 gal which is about 50 bucks + 1-Tee 2-90's and about 1 ft of pipe (20-25 bucks). It takes less than an hour to do this, unless the spaced is too cramped (rarely the case).

What is interesting is the sec 1009-IPC code states "where required", but does not clarify what that means. So, most cities just then require it.

Expansion tanks are not required on insta-hot (on demand) heaters, which in my humble opinion, is the way to go. If you do go this route ALWAYS get the 199k btu unit nothing less. This works well enough to have 2 showers going ....... I know, I have one... and a kid and wife that would whine over the minute change in temperature. And it costs me 5 gal of propane to use a month. They do cost about 1000-1200 bucks for the unit.

Attachments

• sec 1009 IPC.jpg
    sec 1009 IPC.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 21

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Wife wants to do an extreme bathroom makeover. Part of that would involve moving our hot water heater from a "closet" to the garage. The old "closet" area would then be incorporated into the new expanded bathroom. I guess I have two questions.
1. Can the hot water heater just be put on the garage floor, or do I have to build an elevated platform?
2. If I have to build a platform, where can I find the requirements for the platform? I am sure there is a building code for this.
Sounds like you are thinking of doing this yourself?

If so, this might be a good place to start. It may be dated, but it could form the start of a plan you eventually take to your permit authority for review.

-Mark

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have a remodeling company who will be doing the project. Being a cheap @#$ I was looking for some ways to do some of the work before hand and thus reduce my overall cost. Besides I have plenty of wood to build the platform. I live in a very rural area so there are no unique city codes nor access to natural gas. I do have a 100-pound propane tank for my gas fireplace and outside grill, but that tank is on the other side of the house and would require a lot of black pipe to get gas to that side of the house.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have a remodeling company who will be doing the project. Being a cheap @#$ I was looking for some ways to do some of the work before hand and thus reduce my overall cost. Besides I have plenty of wood to build the platform. I live in a very rural area so there are no unique city codes nor access to natural gas. I do have a 100-pound propane tank for my gas fireplace and outside grill, but that tank is on the other side of the house and would require a lot of black pipe to get gas to that side of the house.
it's worth it run the line for a tankless, I'd never got back. I've run 2 showers, washing machine, dishwasher all at same time and it didn't have any issues with hot water.

First Due David

New User
Dave
I if you have the ability get rid of the water heater. Go with a tankless about a million .2 percent better. I had to do it. So much better saves so much room.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC, garage areas 18" and below are considered a Class III location, subject to combustible vapors being present. Regardless of the energy source, a water heater should be on a stand. Gas heaters because of the flame, and electric heaters because of the thermostat contacts in the heating element. Above threads are correct in that they are a standard item at any plumbing supplier.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Agree on the tankless, but anyway, putting a tank up on a stand is not only required for code as mentioned, but easier to service. 4 x 4 posts, braced, double 1/2 inch plywood deck should do it.

I don't think you would be money ahead to run on propane as it is so expensive. The "Green" answer is a heat pump but of course, more expensive, more complex... Yea.

Odd, my sisters house is only about 10 years old. Electric in the garage sitting on the floor. Alamance county.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott we had to replace our water heater two years ago and had it switched out to tankless. I’ve been very pleased with it.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I switched to a tankless several years ago and then put a small 6 gallon electric tank in the kitchen for quick hot water.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I agree if you can go tankless, best option. Be aware there are limits. We have 5 bathrooms and a tankless is best with 3 or fewer bathrooms. There is no segregation in the plumbing upstairs vs downstairs so there was no place to split off and use 2 tankless systems in our house.
We opted for a 125 gallon gas (commercial) unfortunately we have lived in the house too long so it was replaced again @$1500. If we could have gone tankless, we would still be on the first replacement.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I'll be the contrarian. We replaced a gas tank heater with a natural gas tankless, Rinnai IIRC. Put up with waiting a significantly longer time for the water to get hot out of the faucet so last year went back to a natural gas tank and been much happier.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I'll be the contrarian. We replaced a gas tank heater with a natural gas tankless, Rinnai IIRC. Put up with waiting a significantly longer time for the water to get hot out of the faucet so last year went back to a natural gas tank and been much happier.
Thanks for the feedback. I have only experienced these in International hotels and perhaps commercial variants are much better than those for home use. Honestly once we went to a really large water heater, we never had issues running out of hot water. I never really observed a difference in my natural gas bill.
We are looking to downsize and this is good feedback when we build.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors