Secretary Project Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
I've not been as active as I should here but I we've been busy with a project and time has slipped away from us but I've got a question on my current project that maybe someone has run into.

I'm working on a Secretary desk and have gotten to the Pediment Molding and need some ideas as to how some of you might build it. I've got some ideas with a router and template but any feedback would help. I'm at the stumbling stage as this and carving are not my forte'.
I'm trying to finish this for a Christmas present and work has progressed good so far.
Thanks for any feedback!
Smitty:eusa_thin
secertdryfit111108007Small.jpg

4yanks

New User
Willie
If you are talking about the goose neck molding, I have been contemplating the issue myself for some time. I have seen articles by Randall O'Donnell and Lonnie Bird where they have had custom router or shaper cutters made. This seems way beyond my needs for a one-off project. I did see an article in FWW several years ago by Jeffery Greene where he used a sled with template on the router table. He made an overarm guide bearing jig that attached to the table. The bearing was set at the height of the template. To use it the operator pushed the sled with the stock and template screwed to past the bit keeping the cut perpendicular to the curve. Most of the cuts were straight cuts that had to be finished with carving tools. I tried to search for the article to attach a picture, but am unable to find it right now. This seemed like the best, low cost solution to me. However, I imagine keeping the curve of the stock perpendicular to the cutter sounds easier than it is.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
That was my concern to Willie, I envisioned a jig to hold the router up above the workpiece , then follow a template with a bottom mounted bearing bit but like you say keeping it perpendicular to the workpiece would seem problematic.
My other alternative is to build the molding in layers which is most likely the way I'll go.
Thanks for the reply,
Smitty

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Do it as a built up moulding. Do you have a sketch of profile that you can post? Are you going to carve the top end. Woodsmith many years ago did an armoire with built up. I will be digging this issue over the next couple of days, as I need to build another high chair, which is in the same issue. You said you wanted to finish this by Christmas, is that THIS Christmas?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Going back and looking at the picture, it is neat the way you framed in for an air conditioner. Clever! That makes it one COOL secretary.

sapwood

New User
Roger
No advice here Smitty. But plenty of envy on your craftsmanship :icon_thum
That's going to be a beautiful piece of furniture!

Roger

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Thanks everyone for the compliments, I'll try to post the pictures when I'm done. I hoping to get this done for a Christmas present and with next week being off for the holiday, I think I can get it done and ready for finish. So far it's been a very easy piece, just simple joinery, but the molding and then some carving are going to be my downfall. Hopefully those will go as well as the rest of it.
Smitty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS