Second Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
There are now 102 photos in the gallery under the "Second Session" heading that were taken yesterday 1/19/13 at Fort Bragg/Pope AAF Wounded Warrior Project. I was delighted to be a small part of that endeavor and asked Steve Honeycutt to help with the photos.

The guys who were there worked hard all day and took no breaks except for lunch and worked tirelessly with those who attended. There was even time for Charlie to work with another active duty soldier who was struggling with a lathe project. He went out of his way to help and I heard the soldier remark later about how much easier it was after just a little extra instruction. It is little things like that which will never be forgotten.

Many, many thanks to Steve for taking the time to upload all the photos from the second session to a gallery. My computer skills are questionable at best and Steve took the time to load all 102 photos from yesterdays session. I hope you enjoy looking at the photos.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm sure all the volunteers that participated yesterday were tired when they got home, but judging from the photos it was a 'happy tired' that refreshes the mind and encourages you to go again. Many thanks for your efforts.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Here are the ones who participated in yesterday's event:

Phil Soper (PhilS)
Bill Clemmons (Bill Clemmons)
Scott Miller (ScottM)
Donn Ward (drw)
Steve Harberger (smallboat)
David Smith (The BoardSMITH)
Steve Honeycutt (steve_honeycutt)

This was a fun day. It was good to see woodworking through the eyes of a newcomer and to assist them in making their first project was incredibly rewarding. The pictures show them with big smiles with their projects. Imagine these smiles lasting all day.

One of the participants ate his lunch quickly and went right back to work. He also came up with his own design for the heart-shaped box, which several of the other participants copied.

If you would like to volunteer for this project, contact Bill Clemmons or Phil Soper. Some of the skills needed are:

Scrollsaw
Lathe
Bandsaw
Carving
Sharpening

and general woodworking skills to show them how to sand and finish their completed projects.

Volunteers get as much enjoyment from these sessions as the participants, at least I know I did.

Steve H.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to all who participated. I know you all got a lot of satisfaction out of the journey. I certainly remember my first session fondly (except for the sore feet) and hope to participate in another soon.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just got finished looking at the pictures and one of the thoughts I had was how cool it is when the students take our basic instruction and basic projects to the next level on their own initiative. Example from this session the heart shaped box that was an expansion of our teardrop shaped band saw box. During the first session the scroll saw patterns we used were simple, but the students took the initiative to add cut out initials into some of the tree ornament designs. That is what it is all about.

Great project and great work by everyone.

- Ken.

DWSmith

New User
David
I guess we were all able to go back in time to where we were first learning our skills. For me it was like seeing and experiencing everything fresh and new again. Also, as I watched the warriors work, they seemed to get lost in what they were doing. The new work seemed able to shut out the bad and help them to focus on a new experience while learing a new skill.

BTW Before I forget, I really enjoyed meeting those I had never met before from NCWW. I learned new things myself.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There was even time for Charlie to work with another active duty soldier who was struggling with a lathe project. He went out of his way to help and I heard the soldier remark later about how much easier it was after just a little extra instruction. It is little things like that which will never be forgotten.

David, thanks for taking all the great pics, but you did more than that. You were an active participant when it came to unloading and loading the trailer (all the heavy lifting) and talking w/ the Warriors. But I do have one question: Who is Charlie? :dontknow:

b4man

New User
Barbara
WOW!

You all ROCK

I got the biggest charge out of scrolling thru this pic's! I can't wait to take a training session to be a part of this!

BTW, where did you get the heart box pattern? Could I get one to try?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
In case you haven't seen the pics from this second session, here is a link to the album.

And for everyone who is now anxious to be a part of this great experience, our next session is scheduled for February 23. That will be our last session at Pope AAF for awhile, as we try to move the training to different areas and give more folks a chance to participate. Later in the year we will return to Pope AAF for more sessions.

Bill

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, Thank you so much for helping and taking all the good photos. They will help promote this cause

DWSmith

New User
David
Sorry about the name confususion. I meant Phil. Remember, as we get older the mind does funny things like not remember ing our own names until we get a chance to look at our drivers license.

\No matter what the name, the young soldier was impressed with how his turning skills improved with a little expert instruction.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
WOW!

You all ROCK

I got the biggest charge out of scrolling thru this pic's! I can't wait to take a training session to be a part of this!

BTW, where did you get the heart box pattern? Could I get one to try?

Barbara,

J.T., one of the warriors, took a teardrop-shaped bandsaw box that Phil (I think) had created and recognized he could trace it and flip it over to create a heart. I did not see the potential, until he drew it. After he created his box, other warriors wanted one.

Steve H.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Yeh? Well so do I:gar-Bi

Barbara,

J.T., one of the warriors, took a teardrop-shaped bandsaw box that Phil (I think) had created and recognized he could trace it and flip it over to create a heart. I did not see the potential, until he drew it. After he created his box, other warriors wanted one.

Steve H.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I gotta say, this is pretty awesome. We've had some fantastic things come from NCWW - the web site, picnics, shop crawls, lumber runs, toy making. This is definitely the next level. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Since not everyone will head over to the Gallery (or even know where to find it....), I selected a few photos. Looks like everyone had a terrific time.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas. The lady in the top picture, Max, was an interesting story. She wanted to try everything. By the end of the day she had a band saw box, a scroll saw cross, and a bottle stopper that was taller than a bottle of wine. :wsmile: That's what she's turning on the lathe in that pic.

But my favorite memory of her came when Phil was showing her how to mount the spur center in a block of wood. She was lightly tapping on the spur center w/ a mallet, but getting no where. Carol, the WW coordinator, leaned over and told her to think of her Ex. She immediately raised the mallet way over her head and began striking the spur center w/ great vigor. Yep, that worked. :gar-Bi

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
It was a great time. And a full day.
Max, the woman on the lathe in Bas's photo selection, managed to do a bandsaw box, scroll saw cross and the worlds largest bottle stopper on the lathe.

It was great meeting new folks from NCWW and, of course, the warriors.
Don't be surprised if you see one or two of them show up here.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We're hoping outreach will spur interest in the site with every visit they make, but for now we're satisfied to see folks enjoying woodworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS