Second Segmented Turning. Closer. Just...Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I did better on the "how" this time, but I need to focus on the "what".
I think my biggest problem was wood selection this time around. This is Bubinga (base), and Cherry, Walnut and Ash in the rings. Focus, Dan. Focus.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,
Why do you think your wood choice was a "problem?"
I think it looks good!!!
IF I had a compliant it would be to make the bubinga "Base" smaller - but that is totally a personal opinion. (and much like a rear-end everyone has one, and some of my bosses have two!)

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Dan,
Why do you think your wood choice was a "problem?"
I think it looks good!!!
IF I had a compliant it would be to make the bubinga "Base" smaller - but that is totally a personal opinion. (and much like a rear-end everyone has one, and some of my bosses have two!)

May have been the particular piece of Ash I used, Hank It seemed to tear out really easily. I was using contrasting scraps without any consideration for their quality beyond being clear.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
May have been the particular piece of Ash I used, Hank It seemed to tear out really easily. I was using contrasting scraps without any consideration for their quality beyond being clear.
Ah!
Still beautiful!!!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

Dan,
It has been my experience if I am experiencing tearout while turning, its usually one of 2 things or both….. Dull tools or insufficient speed. I know sharpening sucks, but it makes alot of difference!.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,
It has been my experience if I am experiencing tearout while turning, its usually one of 2 things or both….. Dull tools or insufficient speed. I know sharpening sucks, but it makes alot of difference!.
Good advice from Chris there...
I know you have a LOT of transitions in a segmented turning, so tool angle can be an option to try as well!
are you using the "Dr. Charlie" - prescribed Easy Wood Tools approach, or the arcane method of High speed steel tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS