Second class at ASFM

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was fortunate to complete a second class at the American School of French Marquetry last week in San Diego. Patrick Edwards is an excellent teacher. This class focused on the piece-by-piece method, where you make a packet and cut out several copies of each piece in the appropriate wood. Later, you cut out the background and put all the pieces together like a puzzle. Sand shading is also part of the exercise. Our assignment was to make three identical roses. We used three different species for the background (maple, beech and mahogany).

As the school's name implies Patrick teaches the traditional approach perfected by the French in the 18th and 19th centuries. Cutting is done by hand on a chevalet de marqueterie. This is a follow-on class to the one I took last October. Now, I just have to get my chevalet finished.

IMG_4029.JPG

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing, very interesting. In the video it looks like he is sometimes moving the blade and sometimes moving the material? I guess it’s like a scroll saw if you could control the blade position? Really cool.

Last edited:

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the video it looks like he is sometimes moving the blade and sometimes moving the material?
The blade only cuts downward and on the push stroke, though you do have the ability to maneuver it within the cutting space -- a "V" cut in the top of the clamps. Foot petals control the clamps. It's one of those activities like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. You have to coordinate foot pressure with the movements of your left hand as your rotate the packet, all this while moving the saw with your right hand (reverse if you're left-handed). It's awkward at first, but you quickly get into the rhythm. It's amazing to watch someone like Patrick who has been using a chevalet for decades.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful craftsmanship! It is interesting to see the impact that the background wood has on the visual clarity of the rose. Thank you for sharing.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks!
It is interesting to see the impact that the background wood has on the visual clarity of the rose.
Agreed. While I like the mahogany for color and grain, the maple is my favorite as the contrast makes the rose "pop". I'm curious to see how they look after a few coats of shellac.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors