Sears Craftsman Drill Press Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Some will recall I recently found a vintage 1975 Craftsman drill press locally on craigslist. I've completed a few upgrades that will maximize it's use and effectiveness in my shop. The overall objective on this project was to use what materials I had and minimize expenditures. First, I fitted a wood river mobile base I had. Everything in my shop needs to be portable. Secondly, I added the driil press table similar to the one merrill77 posted here earlier. The only thing purchased for the top was the T-track, T-bolts + knobs and 4 threaded inserts to secure the top. Secondly, I added the 3 drawer storage cabinet. I adapted a design I had seen on an episode of the woodsmith shop. The drawers were put together using the locking dado joint (1st attempt). The drawers are sturdy. Since the cabinet depth is 11 &1/2", I decided to use some 3/4 inch oak for the drawer slide system. The only thing purchased for the cabinet was a 1x6 x 6ft piece of oak for the drawer fronts and drawer pulls from my local BORG. I finished the piece with 3 coats of tung oil. Next project is a rocking horse for my grand daughter!!

Below are a few pictures of the additions.

Attachments

• DP1.jpg
    DP1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DP2.jpg
    DP2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DP3.jpg
    DP3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DP4.jpg
    DP4.jpg