Sears CompuCarve ... Pretty Neat

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Sears CompuCarve

Saw a commercial yesterday regarding a new printer-like carver from Sears. It's a pretty neat looking gizmo ... and it got me thinking, does anyone on NCWW own it? 8-O

It's a bit out of my price range currently, but would be very cool if you could get enough use out of it. Here's a link and picture.

Sears.com

00921754000.jpg

MikeH

New User
Mike
I looked at the Sears website at Christmas and it looks like a neat tool. There are a couple reviews for it and almost everyone loves the machine.

I will be anxious to hear if anyone actually has one.

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I don't have one, but I have seen a lot of reviews and a lot of issues being communicated. Very slow to complete a project, and having to send it back to the factory a lot to be worked on. When it does work, it is outstanding from what I have heard.

If the bugs are worked out of it, I would LOVE to have one, but to your point, a bit out of my price range..... Oh well.....

oderus1671

New User
chris
looks like a neat tool, but the price and the name brand shuns it away for me. I havent had much luck with Craftsman tools in general other than their sockets and wrenches. the last few Craftsman tools I bought lasted about a couple months tops before they crapped out. Also, it would take all the fun out of working with wood, IMO.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I'm with you on the cool tool but I too am not a fan of Craftsman stuff ... with the exception of metal tools made a long time ago (even the new ones don't always live up to the standard) ... most is junk in my book.

Maybe Craftsman can convince me otherwise by sending me a free sample of this tool that I can post a huge review on for NCWW? :eusa_danc

Sears ... any takers? I'd be glad to test run! :icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I looked at the Sears CompuCarve the other day and to me for all the plastic it is too pricy. I was not impressed with it and I likle Craftsman. I have alot of power tools and hand tools but thought too much plastic can be trouble down the road. I have been looking at a real pricy machine, the Epilog Laser and sent for the demo package. See Epilog Laser Engraver Engraving Laser Cutting Marking Systems and Machines This machine will do the job but as I said is pricy and that is too much for me. And yes if anyone wants me to road test the epiloglaser I will pay Shipping/Handling to have it sent to my shop. But there again I might be thinking out of the box as usual. Terry:bduh:

J

jeff...

I'm with you guys "am not a fan of Craftsman stuff" the older stuff seems to be alright, but I really shy away from the newer stuff. Anyways if that thing really does work, it would take all the fun out of beating the heck out of a piece of wood with a hammer and chisel.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
What if it has another label on it?
The CarveWright Woodworking System
This looks like the OEM version.

FAQ page states clearly it is the same machine. Nice concept; not sure I like it as it does seem to take all of the fun and skill out of it. If someone made a trivet like Cathy's with this, I don't think they'd get the kudos she does for displaying her skills, 'cause they wouldn't have earned it. Just my .02

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I like what it can do, and would like to be able to incorporate some of what it can do in future projects, but I don't think I could afford it, whether the box says craftsman or CarveWright or even HF

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I think we should all get one.That way we could make our stuff look like the cheap carved crap that is available in stores today rather than actually having to learn the skills that are necessary to make something with our own hands.
Screw craftsmanship, let a computer do it!

Toddler

New User
Todd
Do you think Sears will give me a demo on a On my Padauk/Bubinga laminate? It'd be cool to slide in a 2 1/2" x 3" x 40" block and have a guitar neck slide out the other side!

As to old craftsman tools. . . I hope they're sturdier than the new stuff because in 45minutes I'm going to go check out a small 20-30 year old craftsman jointer. Can't see the compuCarve lasting that long with hardwoods.

Todd

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That is a cool concept...and is completely beyond my price range. :cry:

Maybe the price will go down with time.

Chuck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you think about it this device is duplicating some of the features of a 7 figure $ CNC router setup. I saw machinery when I took a tour of Taylor Guitars that took a handfull of rectangular neck blanks (I think 5 or 6 at a time) and in a couple of minutes had them ready for finish sanding. This included drilling the tuner holes, routing the tension rod slot and inlay routing on the head. I remember them taking some heat when they went in this direction as they were known initially for their handmade necks. They were spending as much time on the necks as they were with the rest of the guitar and it was a bottleneck in their production. Bob Taylor worked with the CNC Router company to develop this equipment and now they can crank them out. I have played both and could not tell the difference.

Just imagine what we'll have access to in 20 years!
Hope there are some trees left:eusa_pray

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
If you think about it this device is duplicating some of the features of a 7 figure $ CNC router setup. I saw machinery when I took a tour of Taylor Guitars that took a handfull of rectangular neck blanks (I think 5 or 6 at a time) and in a couple of minutes had them ready for finish sanding. This included drilling the tuner holes, routing the tension rod slot and inlay routing on the head. I remember them taking some heat when they went in this direction as they were known initially for their handmade necks. They were spending as much time on the necks as they were with the rest of the guitar and it was a bottleneck in their production. Bob Taylor worked with the CNC Router company to develop this equipment and now they can crank them out. I have played both and could not tell the difference.

Just imagine what we'll have access to in 20 years!
Hope there are some trees left:eusa_pray

Just imagine the loss of craftsmanship because people got lazy.:crybaby2:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That is a cool concept...and is completely beyond my price range. :cry:

Maybe the price will go down with time.

Chuck
I hope it quadruples, prices itself out of the market and people will learn to do it for them selves rather than resort to a computer to replace a skill.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Opinions are so much fun! :lol:

Some want a machine to do it, some want to do it by hand, some want to do both ... and no two want to do it exactly the same ... 8-O

No matter what you think or what your opinion is ... it's a pretty tool (in concept) at an affordable price for the shop that doesn't want to, nor can for profitability reasons, spend countless hours hand carving just for the principle of it.

No doubt, we will all honor the hand-carved skill that so few have (and few have ever had) ... but we also thank the times that we don't want to pay $5000 for something we could get for $2000.

People complained (I'm sure) when metal-work machines become available to the automotive industry ... and still people complain when a car costs $20k today ... but I can't imagine what the cost would be if they didn't have those machines! Maybe $300k per Honda Civic? Same goes for carving in woodwork ...

My two cents ...:BangHead: :5badair:

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi EagleSC,

I'm curious, given your animosity towards this machine, if you shun all power tools or if this type of machine is going to threaten your livelyhood?

I can understand that you value human skills, but why should people gaining access to machines that let them create the things they can visualize but not easily build, bother you. The CompuCarve is a tool. Like the CNC router, it doesn't create anything, it just carves out something a human mind thought up. And as the manual part of the craft becomes more mechanized, it simply leaves more time for the design part. This machine or it's later versions may open up a lot of options to people who want to make something and either don't have the physicals skills, or possibly don't have the physical capabilities. Maybe people with true physical handicaps.

I'm enjoying my slow crawl towards building a guitar, but honestly, if I had a 3" stair rail shaper hand to rough out the back of the neck, I'd LOVE it. And when I build a tube amplifier, I sure don't want to wrap my own electrolytic capacitors.

Todd

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
How many pen turners are making them on home made springpole lathes? And making their own transmissions, finials, etc? Machines are the creations of humans, and serve to further human productivity and creativity. When they fail to do that they usually are discarded to the scrap heap (altho some are put on display as homage to past glory - just like some politicians, come to think about it!)
:lol::lol::lol:
Go

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Just imagine the loss of craftsmanship because people got lazy.:crybaby2:

Well...

There's always the gal who hand sharpens her chisels, although she could afford a Tormec, because she wants to hand cut her dovetails, even though she could easily afford a L-V jig and router and bit. She enjoys the serendipity that flows from realizing that her handwork actually fits. She may even progress to hand-cutting tenons and gouging out mortises for the shear (that's a good pun there, folks) pleasure it provides. Pride of workmanship is instilled in the kind of folks you want to be around. Those who eschew that will not last long in our stead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS