Searching for shop to do small production runs (at first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
I have an idea for a niche furniture product that I'm hoping would grow to volumes that make financial sense.

I'm looking to find a shop that would entertain doing short production runs.
At first it might be as small as 5-10 pieces a run.
The production cost per item is in the range of $500-$1000 (I'm purposely being a little vague here).
At first it may be many weeks between runs, but I am of of coarse hoping that the interval decreases as demand increases.
There are some significant market unknowns that prohibits doing a large risk build on speculation.
Any standard shop could build this since the product is simple in form and there isn't any complicated scrolls, carvings, or such.
Limited stain and paint options.
I have a model that I built in my shop but I'm sure it needs to be cost optimized for production.

A while back I contacted the High Point chamber of commerce and they were WAY less than helpful.
I live in Raleigh but any shop within a few hours would be ok so I can keep an eye on things.

Anybody have an idea of how I can get in contact with shops that would entertain such work?

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
I understand your desire not to describe the product. As an alternative a description of materials (primarily hardwood, softwood, plywood) and a minimum set of equipment or key equipment requirements (cnc, tablesaw, panel saw, lathe, moulder, shaper, pin router, spray booth, veneer press) and any specific skills (veneering, hand cut dovetails, carving) would help with the discussion.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Let's just say that it's approximately a....

• Platform bed
  • Drawers underneath
  • bookshelf like headboard
  • I built mine with a TS, jointer, chop saw, biscuit jointer, and a ROS
  • I used no composites but that's where I'd have a discussion with shop about cost
  • I used no veneers (but once again I could see where a production version might use that)
  • I used a few sheets of plywood and about 40 bdft of hardwood (but I'd imagine that maybe 1/2 of the hardwood could be converted to plywood and banding)
As for assumed shop rates... I haven't calculated that since I don't think it makes sense to guess how long a pro would take after it is optimized for production.

I won't discuss why the world needs another platform bed because that's not relevant to the topic.

I'm not necessarily looking for a direct shop suggestion (although that would be fine) but I am wondering if there is a process or procedure on how people with ideas approach shops in the business and try to find a match between size, needs, and expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors