Searching for a ruler...

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I want a rigid steel 24" ruler. I'm sick of the thin kind that flop around and get all bent up useless. I want one built like a straight edge, but with graduations. I'm having trouble finding anything like this. Lots of aluminum ones around, but I can't find steel. Even Starretts' are only 3/64 thick. I would like at least .125 thick. Anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks!

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
not sure if this meets your requirements and if you can wait this long.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a Starrett 24 inch rule that I bought in the 80s, it cost me about $50 back then. I think they are much more now.

I have never had an issue with it bending, it is hardened steel. Not sure it is 1/8" thick maybe 3/32 thick but absolutely more than 3/64.

I use it with my square and bevel heads. Also have a few 12" and one 18" rule that all fit the Starrett heads.

holcombej

jim
User
Mike hit the nail on the head. The Starrett rules that fit the combination square, protractor and center head are not flexible. Pricey, yes, but are straight and don't bend. This from someone who used one for 38 years in metalworking.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The 24 inch Woodpeckers Woodworking Rule at Woodcraft may be aluminum but it's about 1/4" thick and not going to bend without some serious abuse. I have a 12 inch Pinnacle that looks the exact same as the Woodpeckers except for being black instead of red. It's served me well for a number of years. If I wanted a 24" I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Woodpeckers version. As a bonus they both have a Center Scale as well as the regular scale.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
A 1/8" steel ruler will be really heavy. Most that thick are aluminum. I use a 1980's Staedtler that is stainless steel and "just" 1/32" thick but it feels like a sword. True that most sold today are much thinner and flimsier.

Try a supply store that sells rulers used in art or engineering (art, architecture/engineering, office, surveying, printing, etc.). In drafting, rulers have to be very precise, much closer than carpentry tools. I like the ones with cork on one side, useful in ancient days to keep drafting ink from smearing but also to keep the ruler stationary when marking/cutting. I'm not sure today's current Staedtler 24" ruler (Amazon link) is the same, but mine is exactly 1/32" thick, has precision square corners, indented and painted graduations, and is zero start (the end is 0, no margin). Something German or US will be better quality, but there certainly are a lot of Chinese fakes.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Just buy a Starrett 24". 3/64" t and made of tempered spring steel so it's not floppy and holds its shape very well.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Harbor freight...$13.99. Supposedly stainless steel... not sure how thick. Throw the heads in the trash.....

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the Woodpecker centering ruler in metric and sometimes I'll drag out one of the rulers from the one arm bandit drafting machine. I'm thinking of finally moving completely over to metric. Tiring of fractions in my old age.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I've had some great rules over the years...

... and it seems I've found a way to drop every one of them on the concrete of the garage floor. They ALWAYS land on a corner.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS