Sealing and storing logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
My folks just had some trees taken down and I want to keep a few of the trucks. What's a good product to seal the ends with? I have a covered shelter behind my shop where I will store them but do I also need to keep them off the ground?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Agreed and shade (knowing you are putting them in you shed/under roof)
My suggestion seal the ends with ancorseal and mill into lumber sooner rather than later. The longer you wait the more degrade cracks/twist/spalt/stress/etc... will show up in the lumber. Some species like hickory and oak will mill best when freshly felled - for example old hickory logs will set a blade on fire.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
+1. Anchor Seal and mill ASAP. Otherwise a few months down the road you may find a good pile of firewood and not much of anything else. . .

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Yes, definitely keep them off the ground. Bess beetles and carpenter ants love to get into the soft wood under the bark, and will bring in moisture that will let the larva tunnel deeper and deeper into the log. I have found that the height of a concrete block works well as long as you don't let leaves, etc collect up around it. Old pallets work okay for the short term, but will collect debris and encourage the carpenter ants to build nests.

I also use anchorseal.

JMTCW

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors