Scrollsaw Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernnal

New User
Eric
I'm thinking of building a stand/table to securely mount my scrollsaw on. I have seen different designs with the saw flat and with the back of the saw elevated. I suppose user comfort is the key to building one.

Is there any advantage to having the back of the saw elevated?

Does anyone out there have a design/plan they are willing to share?

Thanks,

Eric

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I currently own two scroll saws, both on their own factory made stands. I am a "flat" saw user. I have used a "tilted saw" and prefer the "flat saw". That is just me. I know several who only use their saws tilted.

blazeman45

New User
Steve
Someone on here was offering a free saw stand not long ago if I remember correctly... Check the classifieds.... As I tell my wife.... Sorry if I was wrong but I doubt it!!! :rotflm:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have used both type and I prefer the tilt - simply because it helps me not to tilt my head down so much which makes my neck hurt

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I put mine on a rolling stand that's sit down height.

Scrollsaw_Stand.JPG

View image in gallery

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mine is on the factory stand, tilted. I sit down to use it, and added a foot switch.:gar-Bi

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have used both type and I prefer the tilt - simply because it helps me not to tilt my head down so much which makes my neck hurt

+1 for what he said I was getting terrible headachews and after tilting my saw no more. I use a factory flat stand sitting on a huink of 4x4.. Also I can sit there a little longer without pain in the back of the sholderblades.( just my thoughts for what its worth.)

Thanks Mark

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I was a bit surprised when I noticed that the stand for the DW788 is tilted - seemed foreign after putting so much effort into getting my other tools level! That said, when I am sitting in front of it, it seems quite natural. Even if I'm standing for a quick cut, I don't notice it at all. I'm not sure what the angle is on that stand, but I'd probably go for at least that much, maybe a little more.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Keep in mind that if you don't have a large enough shop to dedicate a stand just for the saw, you can 'add' it to your existing workbench without too much trouble. I did. I think if I quit buying the blue 'T' track from Rockler, their stock will plummet. I added two 3' "T" track sections to my work bench and a base to the saw with holes to use the t-track t bolts to fasten the saw down when I use it. The bench is heavy enough to absorb some of the vibrations from my old Delta scroll saw. I added compressed air and a dust removal port too. I also tilt the saw forward to cut and it has worked well for me so far. The tilt helped match the saw table height to the seat I use to cut. I sit for all scrollsaw work...some folks stand.

sawduster

New User
Robert
my stand is tilted. I sit to scroll ( except for quick cuts on pen blanks etc ) and I have found the tilt reduces neck and shoulder discomfort during marathon sessions where I'm scrolling for hours (it's a " Zen " thang , other scrollers understand :mrgreen: ) Additionally it provides a better viewing angle to the piece that allows me to more easily see the pattern lines, the surrounding wood and previous cuts. This is especially helpful when I'm walking that tightrope on an intricate pattern or portrait
It all comes down to personal preference and that's my nickels worth :kermit:

Thanx for the post and the discussion :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors