Scroll saw lubrication?

NCJim

Jim
User
Does a scroll saw need to be lubricated? I checked the manual and noting is said about lubrication. I have read that some people say they should be lubricated with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) some say 3in one oil. I have a WEN LL2156 21-Inch 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Parallel Arm Scroll Saw that is about 6 months old but now is making a noise that seems to be in the arm.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Yes, definitely! None of these scroll saw are sufficiently lubricated from the factory. There are a couple guys out there that have good videos for DeWalt scroll saw because they’re probably the most popular ones out there. Take a look at the link below, I’m sure you will find it to be similar.

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
Yes, my buddy Matt over at Awesome Wood Things has a great video on lubing a scroll saw, he has a DeWalt saw but I used the video to tear down and lubricate my Delta

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scroll saws in general are notorious for having bearing issues. I think only the Hegner comes with oil/lube instructions. Most bearings can only be accessed by tearing the machine down like in one of those videos. For a lube I would use a synthetic grease and not a light oil like 3-n-1. Lube the bearing and the sleeves.

NCJim

Jim
User
Found my noise, I think! When I hold the machine down tightly, the noise goes away. I built a new bench and I think the normal vibrations of the machine are amplified by the empty and hollow bench. I think I should think of putting rubber pads under the machine and bolting it down will do the job.

Thanks for all the great help.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Found my noise, I think! When I hold the machine down tightly, the noise goes away. I built a new bench and I think the normal vibrations of the machine are amplified by the empty and hollow bench. I think I should think of putting rubber pads under the machine and bolting it down will do the job.

Thanks for all the great help.
Not sure what your homemade bench design looks like, but I know of other cases were adding a lower shelf with weights (sandbag or bricks) have eliminated the vibration problems.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors