Screw Size Symbol Help

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
I am looking to replace some lost screws on a plastic ride on toy. The manual shows a Phi symbol on the line item and I am not sure what that means or how to get that to be the sizes I would find at a box store. I attached the screen shot of it since I can't add the symbol in text.

Can anyone help me out on how to read or convert this to something I can buy?

Phi symbol 4x12 round head screw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-181402_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008-181402_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 107

holcombej

jim
User
The PHI symbol you are referring to means diameter. In this case metric (4 millimeters) by 12 mm long. It doesn’t specify the thread size (spacing) so you probably need to remove another one and take it to the hardware store so they can check for thread size. If it’s not a threaded screw, it would probably be a sheet metal screw type.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Usually means diameter in engineering design drawings.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The symbol should really look as shown in my screenshot but whoever typed the text didn't know that. Ø (capital letter O with stroke) would probably be a better choice.

There are screws specifically for plastic with a different thread than sheet metal screws. Depending on how the screws are used and the kind of plastic, a sheet metal screw or possibly even a machine screw could work.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 10_9_2023 , 9_02_00 AM.png
    Screenshot - 10_9_2023 , 9_02_00 AM.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 39

TracerRound

Larry
Corporate Member
Thank you all for the help! I had found the symbol with the slash online but since it was different I didn't want to assume. My 4yr old managed to get 3 of the 5 screws off with a screwdriver "somewhere in the yard" so I do have two left to reference.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check too to see if the threads are a double helix as this is commonly used on plastics.

iclark

Ivan
User
Thank you all for the help! I had found the symbol with the slash online but since it was different I didn't want to assume. My 4yr old managed to get 3 of the 5 screws off with a screwdriver "somewhere in the yard" so I do have two left to reference.
They make a 2-wheeled pickup magnetic tool for picking up screws, nails, and steel shaving in a work area (like after a roof install).

The 4yo might enjoy pushing it all over the backyard. Otherwise, wear safety goggles and do not allow the 4yo in the backyard ever again when you are mowing (especially if you use a side-discharge mower). Those screws can become very nasty projectiles if the mower picks them up and shoots them out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS