Screening material suggestions ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I am trying to finish up a foyer cabinet that has taken me way too long. It's main purpose is to hide a doorbell and a thermostat (based on customer requirement). It has a mirror in the center with small cubbies around the sides and above the mirror. The bottom left cubby will need a door to hide the thermostat, and the customer wants the bottom right one to look the same for symmetry.

The two doors are small - covering a 7 1/2" x 10" opening. I wanted to put somekind of screening material on the inside of the door frame instead of a panel so there will be better air flow to the thermostat. I have black screen door material, but I think the rectangular pattern is a little too large to look good.

Finally my question: Do you have any suggestions for a better looking material to attach in place of the panel that will allow air flow and look nice?

Thanks,
Amy

b4man

New User
Barbara
Amy,
I'm thinking outside the box here!:eek:

What about wire mesh in a diamond pattern or a louver? It could be painted black or bronze, etc.?

I can't wait to see pix of the project!

Barbara

nelsone

New User
Ed
Do I understand correctly that the thermostat will be on the bottom of the cabinet? I would but 3~4 holes in the bottom were they wont be so visable and then you can use what ever (if any) screening material you like. I would probably go with some type of light wire screen.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Speaker fabric is along the lines of what the customer would like (I think). Does anyone know a place to get it around the Triangle area?

I promise to post pictures soon.

Amy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Amy,
Although not a local source, Parts Express has a decent selection of speaker cloth. I've made several purchases from them and had good service. Search their site for "grill cloth".

Roger

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think that I would consider Barb's suggestion and back the grid with fabric. You could consider the expanded metal or sheet metal with a punched pattern such as is found at the borgs.

George

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the help. I'm not against a grid for the panels, but this is a loosing project. I quoted way too low and currently am working for $4 per hr. I am trying to finish up and move on.

The style is contemporary with Shaker crown. I will post pics very soon. I glued up the small doors today. Once I get them attached, I will post pics.

Today I bought two hinges at Restoration Hardware because the customer wants brushed nickel. I get them home and they don't match! :BangHead: Now I must go back and try to get a one that matches one of the other two. One was much more brushed than the other.

Thanks again for all the help.
Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS