Scraper Burnisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I got some scrapers as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. I'm just getting around to learning to sharpen them. Since I didn't get a burnisher, I am wondering if I can make one out of a 3/8-inch X 12-inch shank of an Irwin spade bit. I hit a nail with the bit, so it is toast. Is the drill bit shank hard enough or polished enough?

Thanks for any feedback.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh boy, you are asking one of "those" questions :)

The rule: a burnisher needs to be harder than the scraper and polished smooth with no pitting.

So, while its possible the shaft of the drill bit could be harder than the steel of your scrapers, the smooth surface issue might require a bit of work.

Given that Crown, Lee Valley, Hock Tools and Glen Drake all have burnisher options in the $20 range, its a tough sell to do it another way.

But, its possible, and if you like to experiment, have at it.

Folks may likely chime in with how they use carbide router bit shanks, screwdrivers, gouges, chisel backs and dried duck beaks.......

One thing to consider, is "back in the good old days" scrapers were made from old saw blades which were not nearly as hard as the steel in todays scrapers. So, a chisel back might just have been fine.

I recently had my break through with scrapers, and its just a wonderful tool!

Jim

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
You know you can regrind - reshape that spade bit and save it. Otherwise, it's probably harder than the scraper blade so it will probably work, just try it and see. Any hardened metal rod will work. One of the most popular burnisher material is valve stems from the valves in an engine, they are very hard. If you don't have any, go by your local automotive machine shop and they will give you some of their bad ones. The shank on a twist drill bit will work too. Probably some good hardened screwdrivers out there that will work also. I have one of the Crown Tools burnishers that works well. I believe it was $21 at Klingspore.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
If you can find one of these (1/4" carbide flush trim bit), drill a slightly smaller hole in a handle and insert the business end of the bit in the hole. Give it a smack and bob's your uncle. Works like a champ. It doesn't have to be a expensive one, just carbide. If you want to dress it up, make a nice handle with a ferrul and you will have a nissan'. :gar-Bi

https://woodtechtooling.com/Forest_...ate_Trimming_Bits/laminate_trimming_bits.html

Mike

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I would bet that using old valve stems is an urban legend! Cute but how practical when you probably have a drawer of screwdrivers?

Seriously, spend some time sanding, polishing and burnishing whatever you are going to use as a burnisher so that the steel is very smooth and featurless. Any nick will catch the edge of your scraper and give you a less than satisfactory result. Also, I use a bit of oil on my burhishers when I work on my scrapers. I think that Froglips' advice is best--there are so many good burnishers out there for really reasonalbe prices that would be the way to go.

I will be offering a scraper workshop in August--we will be working with card scrapers, cabinet scrapers and scraper palnes plus a variety of burnisher types, etc.

DavidF

New User
David
I have tried all the DIY methods over many years and would really suggest you go and buy a burnisher. I have the Crown one and it works well. More to the point is also a nice file to prepare the edge and a diamond hone to polish the edge. A scraper should feel sharp at the edges before a burnisher ever goes near it. A scraper when prepared and used correctly is a joy to behold!!

rick7938

New User
Rick
You've convinced me - I'll buy one. I just like making my own stuff - more fun that way. However, I'm convinced that in this situation, buying is the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback,

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I would also suggest just buying one. I did all the other tricks first and they don't even come close to the ease or results of just using a burnisher. Using a burnisher and setting up the scraper correctly make all the difference in the world when using the scraper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS