Schaaf Carving Tools review

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
About a month ago I purchased a set of 12 "professionally sharpened" Schaaf carving tools off of amazon.
Given the limited amount of carving I intend to do, I just couldn't justify the prices of the very high end tools and took a chance on these.
They are made of the same or very similar tool steel as the high end brands, so they should wear the same under use.

Result - all but one came ready to go out of the box - they all cleanly cut hard maple, sapele, walnut and canary wood with relative ease. Basswood turned to butterwood.
The one exception was the 8a-10mm shown in the picture. It as sharp as one would want, but just skewed and left with a horn on one side.

I emailed Schaaf and no questions asked they are sending a replacement.
Yes, the handles are finished with a grossly applied shiny something-or-other, but they fit my hand just fine and I'm more interested in the result than the look of the tool.

If I were a serios carver, I would probably consider the high end brands, but for what little I intend to do, this was the right purchase for me.

Attachments

• 20231209_085938.jpg
    20231209_085938.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 70

JoeC724

Joe
User
I been keeping these on the list since a prior NCWW mentioned them. Glad to get more feedback that they are a good cost effective option. Thanks

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I have a set of chisels from them and they have been good, especially good for a first set to learn to use and sharpen.

bainin

New User
bainin
Mine are good for a starter set. One of them did come with the shaft a little off angle mounted into the wood handle..but other than that they've been fine.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine are good for a starter set. One of them did come with the shaft a little off angle mounted into the wood handle..but other than that they've been fine.
Let them know - they will make it right.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors