saying hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonc

New User
jak
I just signed up today.Lifelong woodworker who was taught all aspects of woodworking(from framing several house additions to building furniture) from my self taught father who was an engineer, who always lamented the fact he never went into woodworking as a career...long sentence there.
Anyway,I went the academic route but was always drawn back to the wood.I design/build my own furniture,refurbished antiques(specialize in French),and even taught woodworking in The Netherlands for 2 years.I really enjoy experimenting,the 2 years over seas I spent countless hours just bending wood to see how far I could go with it.
I have a strong attachment to hand tools(but collect all machines I can get my hands on).I have a natural connection with Japanese hand tools,they just make sense to me.I learned early on that observation is key to this craft and I have worn out welcomes with several well known woodworkers trying to observe their art.
I have moved around a bit...5 states and 3 countries,over the years.And this last move has landed me Hillsborough NC.Probably for a while.I am settling in.Do not know where to go for lumber yet,or machinery.Looking to find someone who carries dust collectors right now.Rather not waste another $100 on S/H.
My woodworking has been backstage lately because of my main priority....My 4 year old daughter and another on the way(august '07).I am a stay at home trophy husband...I mean stay at home dad.And I always dream of starting my career up again and I can't wait...but I wouldn't miss watching my kids grow up if you payed me.
So I think that gets me started here.I don't talk much but I think you'll hear from me time to time.But understand I'll always be listening.
Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Jak, to the site and the state. You've found a great resource to answer many of the questions you asked. Raleigh has several excellent woodworking supply stores and wood retailers. Many members here also supply fine wood at excellent prices straight from their own mills. I think that you will also find quite a few tool collectors around here also, as well as some great deals on used tools from folks upgrading or just finding a different way to do things.
I would really love to see some of your furniture and other works if you have any pics and a chance to post them.
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing you around.

Dave:)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Jak and welcome to the site! Great introduction and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your work.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Jak! We're glad to have you. I never thought being a parent would be as much fun as it is! I love it! Congrats on the 2nd one.

We look foward to getting to know you and also seeing some of your handiwork.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Jak! We're happy you joined us. Please request a photo album so we can see some of your work - we LOVE pictures. Enjoy the group!

dozer

Mike
Welcome to the site Jak. Congratulations on being a father again. I would really like to see some photos of your work and look forward to seeing your input and ideas on the forums.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Another welcome Jak. Nothing's more important than watching your children grow. Good for you!!

I too don't say much usually, but I'm always around. There's tons of knowledge here.

I see you have an interest in trains. Modeling or life-size??? I use to play in HO scale.

Welcome again.
Tom

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hi Jak,

Welcome to NC Woodworker and welcome to Hillsborough. I reckon we're neighbors. We are lucky to have some really good tool and wood supply sources close by. Let me know if you'd like to hear about some of my favorite sources.

Bob

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, Jak. Has your daughter surprised the wife with "Look what I made on the router table today'??

newtonc

New User
jak
Well thanks for that welcome.I can't say I was really expecting any replies,so I feel as if I'm part of the club already.Thanks for that.
I'm new to forums as well but wanted to respond to one here,I'll address you as "thrt15nc" hope that is right way to address people,yes model trains.O scale,I'm a sucker for the classics.I wish I could go smaller because not a whole lot to do on a 4x8 O scale layout...but I can't let go of the O.
And "LeftyTom",I haven't let her use to many power tools,but she knows more already than probably any guy she will meet in life.She loves to build birdhouses.We can't build enough of those.
In our previous house I gutted the kitchen and she helped me shim some cabinets,and she was only 2.5 years old.Even helped me tile the backsplash.She is very much a "girly" girl but can't resist tools and the need to create.
Went exploring this morning after I dropped my daughter off at preschool.Still searching for my dust collector.Went to a place I found called WoodTek down 85/40 in Graham.Turns out to be a Woodworker's Supply warehouse/showroom.I didn't put 2 and 2 together.15 minutes from my house!Well I'm certainly never paying S/H again.Great place.That alone has made this relocation worth it to me.But I'm not interested in a Woodtek dust collector.So if "woodArtz" or anyone else in the area can give some other pointers of suppliers I would appreciate it.I'm not interested in much (tool wise)the Depot or Lowes are selling.And as tool companies merge there are some brands I have turned a nose up at lately.But I would love to hear any tips.Next week I was going to check out Capital City Lumber,Raleigh...heard good things.And eventually East Wake Hardwoods,for turning blanks.
Well it's about time to pick up the daughter.Thanks again for the welcome.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jak, in addition to Crapital City Lumber (not the best source IMO) check other ones listed in Zone #3 of our wood suppliers list - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/view.php?pg=woodlist

I find a lot of good lumber stock at the Klingspor Woodworking Store off Capital Blvd. in Raleigh. Another great place is the Hardwood Store of NC, if you are that close to WWS then a quick trip a little farther will get you to the Hardwood Store.
WWS can bring just about any tool brand you might be looking for in addition to their house brand of Woodtek. If you make it into Raleigh, I highly recommend you stop by and see the fine members and employees at the Woodcraft Store, they will take care of all your tool needs. Also Klingspor is a good source for tooling in addition to lumber stock.
Here's a good list of those type of suppliers - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/view.php?pg=retailers

I am surprised to hear you say that you didn't expect any replies to your introduction thread.....I didn't get 7000+ posts by not saying Hi to folks. The strength of this site is it's membership, so we are all very happy to welcome in a new member. You never know, they might be the next good friend :-D

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, jak -- happy to have you as a member. We'll look forward to more of your posts and pictures of your work (it's easy to set up an album; just read the FAQ forum entires, too). As for a Dust Collector, we have several recent threads, including this one on Clear Vue Cyclones, considered my some to be the most efficient unit on the market. You may also want to check out Bill Pentz's website, a very complete source of information on the subject of dust collection.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the group Jak. There are a great group of people here and I met several super folks at the picnic gathering this past Sunday.

Dave O's links will show you some really good suppliers of tools and lumber. Your only about 30 min from the Hardwood Store in the big city of Gibsonville west of you. It's about 3 miles off of I 40/85. You are only about 20 min from Woodworkers Supply in Graham right off of I 40/85. Your probably a little closer to the Raliegh Woodcraft than the Greensboro store is. The manager (Toolferone) of the raliegh location is a member here.

Remember we like pics, just upload them into your photo gallery.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Here's a few of my favorites:

Woodcraft in Raleigh ( http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=532 ). The manager, Tom, is in our group. Even though he doesn't remember my name ;-) , it's a great store for equipment and they have lots of my money.

Woodworker's Supply in Graham ( http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/home.exe). A little pricey, but great selection... watch for specials... AND always call before you go, to check stock.

As DaveO indicates, Hardwood Store is our closest choice for wood(http://www.hardwoodstore.com/ ). I also look forward to checking out the friendly folks at East Wake Hardwoods ( http://eastwakehardwoods.com/index.html), but man that's a haul from Hillsborough!

I'll be turning in the shop this weekend, come by if you'd like. We're probably around the corner from each other :) .

Bob

DavidF

New User
David
Welcome Jak. A finer bunch of people it would be hard to find and the wealth of knowledge is staggering. Don't be a stranger, we'll chat about anything wood related or not:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS