SawStop Legislation

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I researched the patent. It turns out that the applicants appealed a rejection of their application to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (the highest court fr patent appeals) and won. It took a long time and therefore the term of the patent was extend 4,044 days (about 11 years). Mystery solved and yes I am a nerd.
Gass is a patent attorney.

Here's the file history, if anyone is interested.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Can a benchtop table saw without a blade guard safely do the same?
Depends on your definition of safely, but this tool is much easier to deal with than an accessory table.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
GR ripper is a very good push block. For times my 2 x 4 or thin push block don't work. There is a Chinese identical clone. The only push blocks that I consider dangerous are the hard plastic sticks that come with a lot of tools. On a TS, if the blade hits it, it grabs, shatters, can pull your hand or send shrapnel your way. A sled with a hold down and a magnetic top sheet/vacuum port is even safer.

Mike, SS has dozens of patents with different expirations and as any good patent attorney can write up, small details can be changed over time to give extended periods. The one of generically using electronics "flesh sensing" is the one that was blocking other manufacturers. I believe this is the one they offered, under OATH testimony, to open if the regulations took place. Only if it took place.

Yes Gass is a patent attorney. He is also a woodworker and an inventor. That does not make him, or SawStop, or Festool, or Gottlib-Stoll evil. They are in business. One goes into business to make money. He had a brilliant idea and acted on it. OEMs at the time turned him down. So he risked it all and started his own company. Originally Harvey made some of his saws. ( IPS) Not sure who does now.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
small details can be changed over time to give extended periods
Not exactly. The "small details" must be patentably distinct from the previous claimed invention(s), and the "extended period" only applies to the new content. Gass' patent is different in that it received a patent term extension because of the litigation.

For hopefully obvious reasons, I don't consider patent attorneys evil since I am one.

I own a SawStop and would not own any other brand that does not include the flesh-sensing technology.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Depends on your definition of safely, but this tool is much easier to deal with than an accessory table.

It takes just a few minutes of watching HGTV or YouTube/Instagram or stopping at a construction site to see people not using eye/lung protection, blade guards, splitters, ripping fences or miter gauges on their worksite table saws. I really don't think they're going to buy and use $60 aftermarket pushblocks.

As far as ripping thin strips with a tracksaw safely without a special table...here are multiple ways it can be done:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member

We have a couple of these in the raffle that you could win for only $5

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors