Sawing tidbits new to me

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This book was first published in 1980 and revised in 1996.
C15991FD-56EB-41AA-9AC9-8B4F16250577.jpeg

Here are some excerpts from the Sawing chapter that were new to me.

Before the making of steel became somewhat scientific with the invention of the Catalan furnace in the fourteenth acentury all hand saws were pull saws. Since the metal of that day was so unevenly carburized, and difficult to temper evenly buckling was a common occurrence if the saw was pushed.

Many miter boxes over the centuries have been made from 3/4”-1” boards, but the use of 1-1/2” boards is generally more satisfactory.

Frequently in olden times the teeth on the first four inches of a rip saw would be filed for cross-cutting, to take care of knots encountered in ripping.

In past days, when all files were made by hand, it was possible to buy triangular files in which the cut was coarse at the point and progressed to a finer cut at the tang, a type considered ideal for sharpening saws.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Came across only one (IMO) glaring error. Or were paring chisels knife-edged once?
View attachment 217218
I’ve never heard of a knife edged paring chisel. In ye olde books going back to the nineteenth century, the illustrations I’ve seen look like the single-sided bevel we all know.

How old is the material in the book and where is it from? ‘Basil’ is an old English term for “bevel”.

Mark

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I’ve never heard of a knife edged paring chisel. In ye olde books going back to the nineteenth century, the illustrations I’ve seen look like the single-sided bevel we all know.

How old is the material in the book and where is it from? ‘Basil’ is an old English term for “bevel”.

Mark
Copyright 1980 and revised in 1996. No info beyond this fly leaf and the bibliography references 25 or so other books.
43ED54F8-693F-4451-AD3E-B54AE57F7332.jpeg

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
This catalog from 1910 has a pretty extensive list of chisel offerings. They offer paring chisels and gouges in two styles - socketed or tanged - but all appear to be single bevel.

A little conjecture" the "Old Ways of Working Wood" book says of paring chisels that they are "..invariably tanged and with a wooden handle and always with a knife edge sharpened on both side". Suggests that research predates the early 1900s, since in the catalog above socketed paring chisels were a stock item, priced by the dozen.

-Mark

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Suggests that research predates the early 1900s,
Neither Moxon (Mechanick Exercises 1677-80), Roubo (L'art du menuisier 1769-75), nor Nicholson (Mechanic's Companion 1812) described paring chisels as being double-beveled (Roubo and Nicholson do mention double-beveled lathe tools).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors