Saw stop arrived- quick review

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm just glad that Oka now has a higher likelihood of carrying his phalanges into his old age.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Regarding the fence ripples: I had an old (but great) PM64 from Powermatic. Newer ones came with a plastic face on the fence that rippled, but, mine had a plywood (or MDF - not sure which) core with a laminate (formica?) face/top/bottom/end. Absolutely smooth and straight. I often wondered why they changed and also wondered if the plastic fence face could be replaced with a laminate one. Never took it off to see what the fastener situation was.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Is a .015 deviation over a 2 foot fence significant? I understand that precision work starts with precision tools, but I'd be afraid to hold that micrometer against any of the tools in my shop...
Thank you!

If you want to be a machinist work with steel.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I do not think it is significant. However it does have this flaw. TBH the best I ever measured was a jet saw fence it was near perfect.
My other saw, I just reversed the fence board to the other side and it made both better, might try that.

One other thought, all wood moves, so keep that perspective when trying to attain perfection. Besides I keep my back fence set roughly. 005 wider anyway.
Most my observations are just That, observations.

Echd

C
User
I bought a digital micrometer and a jig to fit it to my miter bar to adjust my t glide, as I thought it was possibly pitched inward as I was getting some burning.

I think mine ended up being 0.02 out of whack over the length (and it was also slightly pitched inward). I cannot find the post i made about it, which is weird as i have a PM from another member inquiring about the gauge. Ultimately I don't think for wood that deviation is important at all.

I consider my sawstop an excellent investment. So far I've only popped one cartridge and that was due to my own stupidity and nothing but my wallet was ever in danger (foil lined OSB is conductive as I learned!)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you are seeing the ripples in your fence, you can loosen the screws that secure it, and place a shim behind the fence where it is bolted to the T-Glide bar, then retighten. Maybe you just need to loosen the screws ever so slightly.

The wood you are cutting is not going to flow into the ripples, it will maintain contact with the outermost portion of the fence. If the fence has a bow, that is a cause for concern.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS