Saw Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I've been sharpening a lot of my nest of saws for the first time and tuning up some beaters to sell. I highly recommend Ron Herman's new dvd on sharpening for those interested. I also took Bill Anderson's class at the Roy Underhill's, but the dvd really made it "click" with me. Herman's approach is no-nonsense and less complicated than Tom Law's which is more of a freehand approach.

Tackled a 28" Langdon 11PPI mitre box saw yesterday - yep that's 308 teeth give or take.

PM me if anybody is interested in getting some of their saws filed - I'm no saw doctor but I can get them sharp and my rates will be reasonable. I'm in Kernersville NC and off work on Fridays so I can meet in the middle if need be. Depending on responses, my turnaround should be around a week or so. I also enjoy restoring handles and cleaning saw plates - I've got the full kit.

Been going through a saw phase and taking a break from handplanes for a bit but starting to run low on my saw inventory.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I took Bill's course at his home shop and thought I knew it all until I tackled a few old saws at home. My set up needs some work and some of my tools are not top quality. That DVD may be on my shopping list soon.

We should get together at my place or yours soon to compare notes. I'm sure you shop is much cleaner and better organized.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I took Bill's course at his home shop and thought I knew it all until I tackled a few old saws at home. My set up needs some work and some of my tools are not top quality. That DVD may be on my shopping list soon.

We should get together at my place or yours soon to compare notes. I'm sure you shop is much cleaner and better organized.

That's a good one about the cleaner and more organized shop - my garage is a cluster.

I'll let you borrow the dvd whenever you get a chance. The biggest thing is using blocks on the end of your files for the rake/fleam - I use them even for rip saws. That alone has resulted in big improvements.

My setup is a stool (definitely seated is better than standing), and my boys' 1/2 scale Holtzapfel workbench and a Disston 3D (splurge).

rbradford

New User
Richard
I have not seen the DVD but I'll look for it too. I picked up a saw vise in Ed's tool store above the Woodwright's School a few months ago and tried to sharpen an old beater saw. Worked well enough that I've gone a bit further; but the DVD would undoubtedly offer some practical insight.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I keep upgrading my tools as I am able and find better things.

I have several that need to find new homes. Some will be for sale and some will be the object of something creative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS