Saw Blade Dull ?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickster

New User
Nick
A couple of months ago a purchase a Forrest Woodworker II blade, I have maybe used it for about 10 cuts. I fired up my saw after about 3 months of not using it all and the saw struggled to cut. I checked the blade out and it's it good working order. This is wood that us just breezed through before. Could my blade have gotten dull that quickly? Any suggestions ?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Wouldn't think 10 cuts would dull a blade unless it was a very abrasive material or had some grit in it. I've had that problem with mesquite.

Loose belts? Maybe something out of alignment. See if the teeth will shave a bit off your nail. Maybe you tagged something with the blade during your last session. Could anyone have used this blade without your knowledge?

Can you try the blade on another saw?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
10 cuts is not a lot. Is it dirty? Pitch from pine and other sappy woods will coat a blade and make it appear dull. Try cleaning it.

ehpoole

Ethan
I'm with Mark and Scott. You fist need to rule out a slipping belt -- or even an issue with your motor -- and possible pitch buildup on the blade. If there is pitch buildup it will be plainly visible and you will need some pitch remover to clean your blade to restore normal operation.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't forget to check the direction of the teeth (not that that has ever happened to me:dontknow:).

ehpoole

Ethan
It also occurs to me that if you are using any extension cords, an undersized cord can also starve (and eventually damage) the motor -- so it's something to double-check if an extension cord is in use.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I suspect an evil dark outside force at work not the blade. I wood first look at a loose belt first then check that the gremlins did not reverse the tooth orientation, sneekey buggers they are

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
How dirty is your table top on your saw? Lay a coat of paste wax on it ,maybe it just seems like it's not cutting cause it is taking so much effort to push it through. That is not safe either. Not to dismiss the slipping belt or the blade on backwards but the friction on a nasty table top can be problematic.
Greg

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Did you clean the blade before you used it the first time? Forrest blades are usually coated with a pretty gummy coating. I'd clean it and try it again. Odds are it will be fine.

bobby g

nickster

New User
Nick
So I finally got back out to the shop last night and removed the dado blade and put the forrest back on. I was going to build a sled to cut some cabinet doors that I made the previous weekend. Long story short the blade cut like it was new... Not sure what caused it have so much issue the other day but taking it off and putting it back on seemed to resolve the issue... Thanks Guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors