Satin,Semi,Glossy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
This might have already been done but I was just wondering which grade of clear finish everyone one prefered and why

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I think each of us has a personal preference.
For small items like boxes I like a little gloss, for furniture I prefer a satin. I usually use satin for the first few coats and gloss for the final one or 2, then remove 'some' of the gloss with superfine Liberon steel wool.
If it's a commission and the customer insist on a high gloss, I hold my nose and do it. ;-)

ken

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Phillip...it all depends on the look you're looking for. Most of the time I use a semi-gloss poly and use 0000 steel wool to give it whatever brushed look I'm looking for. You can always make a glossy finish look satin, but you can't make satin look glossy.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I think it depends on what kind of project/furniture you are building. I build mostly shaker and A&C style and also some period pieces and tend to use a satin finish almost exclusively.

The satin finish gives a nice warm look and feel and also tends to imitate an older finish...one that has been polished and used.

Dan C

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Also you can use more then one if trying to highlight something.

Last thing I did I think i used Satin or Semi. Sometimes I have used gloss as a base/light filler and then sanded it smooth then topped with a satin/semi gloss.

So as with everything in life there is no bad or good, just the project and what you like.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Satin finishes are gloss finishes with flattening agents added. You need to stir them often to keep the additives evenly dispersed. I use gloss. If I do not want it shiny, I can always hit it with steel wool (or wait awhile around my house, it won't stay shiny all that long).

Jim

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I have always been fond of Satin as it tends to look more natural, and older as already stated.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks everyone - For myself it does depend on the project that I am doing - For the most part I use satin/semi - I don't think I have ever used the Glossy

steviegwood

New User
Steven
As most of you know by now most of my work is fretwork with the scrollsaw. As for what sells the best at shows for me around here it has to shine. Sometimes I think if you could make poop shine it would sell. If I put a portrait style cutting behind glass I will not put any finish on it unless it needs a stain. For me personally I have to go mostly with what has already been said mainly a satin finish especially on bigger pieces. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS