Sanding Discs for ROS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I just "upgraded" my old 5" ROS to a new one. The old one used self stick discs, the new one uses hook n' loop discs. I'm looking for high grit paper, 400 grit and over for finishing but the local Ace HW store only carries upto 320. I didn't think I would have any issues finding higher grit discs, and hate to ask the guys at Ace HW to order some for me since they have me a killer deal on the ROS. I guess I'm not looking in the right places... What brand and where do you guys get your 5" 8-Hole Hook & Loop Sanding Discs from? Please don't send me to the Blue BORG, I really hate that place.

Thanks

M

McRabbet

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop! Best abrasives on the planet and one of our advertisers. You even get a 10% discount because you should be Discount Qualified! Just click on their ad on the right side to peruse their offerings or drop by their store on N. Capital Blvd in Raleigh.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Klingspor's Woodworking Shop! Best abrasives on the planet and one of our advertisers. You even get a 10% discount because you should be Discount Qualified! Just click on their ad on the right side to peruse their offerings or drop by their store on N. Capital Blvd in Raleigh.

Bummer Rob - I thought I may have over looked them at my first visit so I just looked again, they only go to 400 grit and that's only in Aluminum Oxide, others go to only 220 or 320 :(

M

McRabbet

What Size disk and hole count? If you look again at their Stearate disks, they go to 1500 grit in 5" x 5 hole or 5" x 8 hole or plain 5" no hole in hook and loop. I use them with both my 5" ROS sanders -- I have a P-C 333 (5 hole) and a 343 (8 hole) that use hook and loop. They've got them in the 6" variety, too. They may not lawst as long as the heavy duty Aluminum oxide disks, but I've had very good luck with them for several years. So look again!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I really like Rhynogrip paper from Industrial Abrasives. It's 12 bucks for 50 discs, all same grit or they have an assortment.
Jeff, may I ask why you want to go over 400? I usually stop at 180 or 220 on hardwood, IMO going finer burnishes the bare wood and causes finishing issues. I will go to 320 on softwood sometimes, depending on the stock.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What Size disk and hole count? If you look again at their Stearate disks, they go to 1500 grit in 5" x 5 hole or 5" x 8 hole or plain 5" no hole in hook and loop. I use them with both my 5" ROS sanders -- I have a P-C 333 (5 hole) and a 343 (8 hole) that use hook and loop. They've got them in the 6" variety, too. They may not lawst as long as the heavy duty Aluminum oxide disks, but I've had very good luck with them for several years. So look again!

Rob your awesome... thanks... I found the 50 pack 5" 8 hole hook and loop here ---> http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-...mac/itemDisplay?qryType=STYLE&itemSt=VD5801SK

and all the way up to 1500 grit :) I over looked them TWICE :roll:

Thanks again Rob

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I really like Rhynogrip paper from Industrial Abrasives. It's 12 bucks for 50 discs, all same grit or they have an assortment.
Jeff, may I ask why you want to go over 400? I usually stop at 180 or 220 on hardwood, IMO going finer burnishes the bare wood and causes finishing issues. I will go to 320 on softwood sometimes, depending on the stock.

Yea your right... It's rare I go beyond 220 on hardwood. But I have some some high gloss honeydo's coming up soon, so I'll need to work the finish up to higher grits than 400.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can get Micro-mesh in disks for a ROS. I used them to finish some cutting boards, and folks swore that I had put a high gloss finish on them.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ken, how do you compare the Rhyno to say stearate? Reason I ask is the Hal Taylor chairs Doug R and I have been working on forever he highly recommends it. It seems hard to believe there can be that big of a difference. Would love to hear your feedback/comments.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken, how do you compare the Rhyno to say stearate? Reason I ask is the Hal Taylor chairs Doug R and I have been working on forever he highly recommends it. It seems hard to believe there can be that big of a difference. Would love to hear your feedback/comments.
Travis,
The Rhyno paper is water based zinc stearate.
I was a Mirka user till I tried the Rhyno. From my usage it doesn't load as much and what scratch pattern there is is finer than with Mirka. A quick rub with the grain with a sanding block is all that's needed. But sanding is like burgers, most everyone does it a little differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS