Sale, Ridgid miter saw, compound, not slider

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Tuned better than stock. Freud fine tooth thin kerf, second Freud framing blade, and an extra. Extra ZCIs, DIY crown stops, extra DeWalt hold downs.
$99. In Hillsborough

Attachments

• 20240227_163444.jpg
    20240227_163444.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 20240227_163433.jpg
    20240227_163433.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240227_163459.jpg
    20240227_163459.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Scott - The 10" blade tells me that this is a 10" saw, but it might help to call that out specifically. If I didn't have 2 already I'd jump at this.

ChemE75

Tom
User
Still available?
I don’t need much so think this will do enough. Mostly looking at cutting 2x4 lumber and trim for a covered patio to 3 season room conversion. Doubt I’ll cut anything more than a 4x4 or 2x6.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I'll keep you in mind,.. I think a Craig's list reply beat you by half a day. I'll know this weekend.

ChemE75

Tom
User
Thanks. I just ran into this site after fumbling through fb to join the group. After over 10 yrs in So FL, I gave up on Craig’s list due to being 99% filled with scammers and stolen goods. NC seems much more welcoming with considerate people.
Anyway, if a no show, I can come out pretty much anytime. (I’m retired 😁)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thanks. I just ran into this site after fumbling through fb to join the group. After over 10 yrs in So FL, I gave up on Craig’s list due to being 99% filled with scammers and stolen goods. NC seems much more welcoming with considerate people.
Anyway, if a no show, I can come out pretty much anytime. (I’m retired 😁)
Then you should make the lunch Friday and meet a few of the members.

ChemE75

Tom
User
I’m a bit at risk (covid) due to a multitude of heart valve surgeries and other vessel repairs that have created a number of scar tissue sites where pathogens can get caught up and flourish. I got boosted in Aug so it’s pretty much worn off and haven’t yet received a spring shot. Much to my wife’s dismay, I’m still kind of anal about indoor social gatherings. The May picnic sounds much more attractive to me.

ChemE75

Tom
User
Thanks for letting me know! Good for you, bad for me… will just keep watching. Saw a dewalt but kind of a long drive and over kill since I don’t need 12” or large capacity and prefer a smaller size to store in my limited garage shop. Worst case is I cut 2x4s on table saw and just get in a bunch of steps going back and forth, or cough up the $ to buy a basic new one when I get HOA approval to start.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
HOA approval? Good one. :)

A speed square and circ saw works pretty well. I liked my original first generation Delta as it was more rigid.

ChemE75

Tom
User
HOA approval? Good one. :)

A speed square and circ saw works pretty well. I liked my original first generation Delta as it was more rigid.
Thought I saw an old delta being sold somewhere, maybe I saved post. Haven’t had time to chk. Figure the miter saw would make life a bit easier to cut moldings for some artwork frames as well and I could retire my nearly 100 yr old grand dad’s miterbox and backsaw. Ya, the circ will work too. I noticed I got a decent blade for it that I forgot about. It’s an old corded Milwaukee I’ve had since ‘80s when an old b&d crapped out. We used it in the shop just to cut lumber to close size for jointing and planning to build whatever. It’s a solid circ.

ChemE75

Tom
User
Trying to do right with the hoa. They were fine with my plan for adding my wife’s spa to the back patio. I layout everything in autocad, it’s 2012 but fine for my needs. I went 3D and rendered the image and it looked pretty decent. I can just hide the spa layer and add the walls with door and windows. They just want any exterior work to match or blend with the house. It’s a new development with a few more houses going up across the street. One bonus, I’ve scored a bunch of scrap 2x cutoffs and sheathing for the most of the framing and outside sheathing for the low wall section, just need to buy a couple of long treated 2x4 for the sill plates. Hoping to grab a few more hardie siding planks so I can finish the outside for free too. Worst case is I’ll buy a couple lengths at a big box. Right now I plan to use cedar for the window and door trim, and thinking to use aromatic red cedar for the inside wall panels, roughly 40 sq ft shouldn’t cost too much.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found miter saws to be marginal for picture frames. Good 80 tooth Amana blade, clamp the wood and maybe. The Delta did a better job over the Ridgid. In the past I have used my Lyon miter trimmer for smaller pieces but it only will bite with about 1/32 inch. Too thin the blade does not stay against the way. Really really clean and accurate though. I am hoping for better results with the Kapex. Of course, a really sharp iron and shooting board is another way to go about it. I have about a dozen picture frames I need to make, so will be experimenting. I want to see what the local frame shop is using. They said they switched from a big guillotine to a power tool of some sort. I found the Ridgid to do OK for moldings as long as you only did miters. Compound cuts tended to come out curved, so I made a jig to hold crown at the correct angle and only do miters.

I have some extra Hardi siding left over from my garage. Give me a shout.

ChemE75

Tom
User
Thx for info. I got a Forrest hi atb 10” thin kerf I use for laminates, composites, thin hard/brittle wood, special occasions, etc - was thinking it might be good to use in a miter saw for frame moldings. I don’t do much for moldings otherwise, so mostly use my antique miter box and the backsaw, or I use my table saw. Figure a decent miter saw will make some things easier and faster. Anyway, if I feel it’ll be useful enough I’ll buy a new one if I can’t find a decent used model. wasn’t sure about rigid stuff. I got their oscillating bench sander when I was building my guitar and it’s come in handy for quite a bit but it’s definitely not a precision machine.

Thanks for the hardie board offer - hopefully I’ll be able to start project in near future.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS