Said Goodbye to a Special Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
It was a sad day as we laid our yellow Lab Murphy to rest yesterday afternoon. We had seen his condition going down and at 14 years 6 months, age had caught up with him. He had reached the point that it was a struggle to stand up and yesterday we had to help him up. The strength in his legs were gone and we could not bare to see him struggle.

He is not the first pet we have said goodbye to and will not be the last, but this is the hardest. He came into our lives as a young puppy at a time when someone very close to us was breaking our hearts. He was the definition of a velcro dog and where ever we were is where he had to be. It did not matter whether it was on the couch or crawling between us in bed, he was there. Being the misses works from home she spent the day with him and says she has all of her crying out, I am not sure that I do.

Always ready to go.

beach_2_008_always_ready.jpg

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Bryan, I am sorry to hear that. They become so much a part of our lives.

Last edited:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bryan,

Sorry for your loss. Pets do have a way of becoming our best friends. Hopefully, you can concentrate on the good times.

Steve H.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bryan,
I am sorry for your loss - we lost our Cody a little over 3 years ago and still miss him. Like your wife mine was VERY close to him and he was like a little 4 year old. You could talk to him like a person and he would respond. He loved to eat and would almost "suck" on his food like he relished it. My mother-in-law made polishinken (sp) a crepe-like pancake and a ricotta cheese filling he would beg for it and when we gave him a little bit of it you could literally see him smile!

They become people's best friend for a reason!
A VERY good friend of my wife's gave her the book Cold noses at the Pearly gates - it is REALLY a GREAT book.
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Noses-The-Pearly-Gates/dp/0806528877

I am sure there are a lot of people on both sides of that debate - but what Gary says makes a lot of sense!

Three Cheers to Murphy!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Bryan, the four leggers that enter our lives are indeed family to many of us. I feel your pain.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I sympathize with what you are going through and share your pain, having gone through it myself too many times to think about. Just know that you made him a very happy dog while he was with you and take comfort in that he loved you and knew he was loved in return.

To paraphrase something I read: People are born so that we can learn be nice...to love and be kind. Dogs are born knowing how to do this so they don't need to stay as long.

Touchwood

New User
Don
It was a sad day as we laid our yellow Lab Murphy to rest yesterday afternoon. We had seen his condition going down and at 14 years 6 months, age had caught up with him. He had reached the point that it was a struggle to stand up and yesterday we had to help him up. The strength in his legs were gone and we could not bare to see him struggle.

He is not the first pet we have said goodbye to and will not be the last, but this is the hardest. He came into our lives as a young puppy at a time when someone very close to us was breaking our hearts. He was the definition of a velcro dog and where ever we were is where he had to be. It did not matter whether it was on the couch or crawling between us in bed, he was there. Being the misses works from home she spent the day with him and says she has all of her crying out, I am not sure that I do.

Always ready to go.

beach_2_008_always_ready.jpg

Brian..I choked up reading your post. Our black lab Maggie was also 13 plus years old and had exactly the same experience (back leg strength gone, had to help her up etc).

The vet came to the house and Maggs just put her big head down in my lap and went to sleep. That was 3 weeks ago...so I sure know what your feeling.

We have to make the tough decisions for them.

Don

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Don and Bryan:

It's not easy to say goodbye to a member of the family, I feel your pain. It's tough to do the right thing. You know they would want you to be happy, so remember them with love, and think of the good times.

Glen

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Don and Bryan, so sorry for your losses. I havent experienced that . I know one day we will. Our pup is 11 and we are so attached but we know one day her time will come. Cherish the memories that you were allowed to have. I know your "best friends" were given the best of care and I know they felt the love you had for them!

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Sorry for your loss. In March I had to put my 14 year old golden retriever down with the same symptoms you mention. Too hard to watch him suffer anymore.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Condolences, Bryan. Dogs are great and labs are something particularly special.

(We have two foster labs in our house right now through NC Lab Rescue.)

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
I feel your pain. We had a great German Shepherd for 13 years. She and my kids grew up together. There were times when she showed that she was much smarter than both of them!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry Bryan. Pet ownership brings us such joy. Focus on the good times.

cskipper

Cathy
Bryan, I'm glad you didn't make him suffer but am sorry that your lost him. We had a similar situation a few years ago so I feel like I know how you both are feeling. No matter how much time passes you will always remember him and now that he felt loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS