Safety rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
So I am watching a wwing podcast on making a push stick and the host has his father on to help with the show. The father was missing part of his finger due to a TS accident and the host also has a close call with a TS. They were stressing the importance of a good push stick and shop safety. So the host then starts the TS to begin working, and HE ISNT WEARING SAFETY GLASSES! Is it just me?

A while back I remember reading a posting about a TV host using a HAMMER as a push block.

The same host from the podcast had another video where he is complaining about cleaning up, then in other vids he doesn't even turn the DC on! Now you can't tell me that due to the loud sound of the DC he keeps it turned off to film the show. He is using a TS! Isn't that loud on its own?

Is it just me?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Yeah, I do think it is important for folks in the spotlight to wear all of the necessary safety equipment. What they do on their own time is up to them, but if they have an audience (especially younger people), they need to wear safety equipment. :thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is no standard for shows of this nature. I agree that if the show is designed to educate the public they should include safety in every step.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Hearing protection too! Although hearing loss is a gradual, rather than acute hazard (like a pointed sliver in your eye), it seems to be hit or miss in some shows/webcasts. And then, they always seem to have a disclaimer about "guards removed for visibility". I have always wondered why they think that we need to see the kerf as it is being cut. It's the finished piece that is important.

David Marks seemed to be better than most with safety issues; however I seem to remember that he did not have a guard on his table saw. He did wear gloves with PVA glues, though. Perhaps that was more about keeping his hands clean.

-G

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Unfortunately, the web is rampant with misleading and incorrect information. Anyone can post photos, videos, instructions, etc., etc., on virtually any subject. People, especially the uninitiated, too often assume that the person posting is some type of expert on the subject at hand. That is why I view everything that I see on the internet with a high level of skepticism. :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Videos on saw safety by folks with missing fingers certainly deserves considerable scrutiny. On the other hand, experience is perhaps the greatest teacher.:BangHead::eusa_doh:

Thanks for reminding all of us about this basic premise of internet research.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS