Safety Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm getting a little long in the tooth & now need a mild drugstore set of glasses (actually Goodwill) to see close work. Does anyone out there have as source on safety glasses that also magnify? I'd like to find some in tempered glass instead of plastic because they scratch up too easy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The thing is my eyes aren't bad enough to get Rx glasses. I wonder if Wal Mart does 'reading glasses' in safety glass.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Dennis,
May want to talk to an optician about glass safety glasses. I don't think they are doing much with anything other than polycarbonate. You just have to take care of them and they don't get scratched.

I've got these:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bifocal-Magnifiers-Black-Clear-1-5x/H7194
and they are ok. Fit is great with good coverage and tough. I'm spoiled with progressive lenses and have an astigmatism that causes eyestrain if not corrected which the the bifocal glasses don't help. I can't wear them for more than a few minutes. I'll make you a deal on them if you're interested. I have 1.5 and 2.0 diopter versions.

I now use these over my glasses and they are the cat's backside:
http://www.heavyglare.com/catalog/brand.php?brand=306
You fit them to your regular glasses and they fit very well. Meet all the OSHA safety specs and not very expensive ~$25.

Mark

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That looks like a good deal. Although they probably won't be glass, for that price I can replace them pretty easy. Gotta admit I don't get into WC as often as I should. Thanks, Ed. :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
I don't know much about the "safety" aspects. However, LOML buys reading glasses at the Dollar Store (about 10 at a time) and leaves them in car, purse, and every room in the house :lol: She likes them as well as her "prescription" lens. 8-O

Roger

Badabing

New User
Joe
:rolf: Roger! My LOML does the same thing but she loses hers all the time... I started stocking up on them just so I don't have to read things to her (like the menu when we go out to eat)!

Back on topic...I wonder if my insurance will cover safety glasses? Has anyone tried to file a claim with their Medical/Vision insurance provider for this type of thing? My insurance is pretty good so I'll have to check. I'd love to have a nice pair of safety glasses that don't get all scratched up and useless after a few weeks.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
BCBS paid all but $15 of my eye exam, and the optical place gives a 30% discount to BCBS members. Probably the same for other ins. companies. My total out of pocket costs were- Exam $15, Safety Glasses $103. Not bad when I look back at last set and realize that I paid more for just the exam. Sam's is a little cheaper than Wal-Mart.

Glennbear

Glenn
After I originally read this thread I gave it some thought and then remembered the problem I had reading my gauges when I took up SCUBA a few years ago (old eyes) 8-O. I bought a pair of stick on lenses for my mask from a specialty house but now I see Walgreens sells them in various strengths for about $10. They cling to plastic or glass lens similar to the plastic window decorations. Seems like standard tempered glass safety glasses with stick on bifocals would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS