Ryobi BatteryPack Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
Sold at
The Home Depot stores nationwide and in Canada, online at Homedepot.com, and at other retailers from September 2012 to December 2012 for about $99.

Should I take that to mean that if you purchase your batteries before those dates the recall does not apply?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Should I take that to mean that if you purchase your batteries before those dates the recall does not apply?

I would assume so but you can always call their toll free to be safe.
[h=3]Toll-free Consumer Hotline[/h] 800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054)
Call to obtain product safety and other agency information and to report unsafe products.
Hotline staff may be reached from 8:00 am–5:30 pm ET. Messages may be left anytime after these hours. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Len

New User
Len
Looks like my Christmas present Ryobi multitool pack will be down for a while...

I really hate dragging extension cords around behind me.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
I have the Old 18v. drill...

Just looking at the New lithium battery packs, they look the same as the old, I wonder if they work in the Old drills?
... anyone know if they do or not?

That would be cool if they did...

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I have the Old 18v. drill...

Just looking at the New lithium battery packs, they look the same as the old, I wonder if they work in the Old drills?
... anyone know if they do or not?

That would be cool if they did...

Joe,

The Ryobi 18V One+ Lithium batteries are compatible with all 18V Ryobi One+ tools, however you *must* use one of the newer Lithium/NiCd battery chargers (which means replacing your existing chargers) which have the green and silver "Lithium" color scheme -- the older NiCd-only chargers (typically all black color scheme) are not compatible with the newer Lithium batteries. The new chargers will, however, charge both the new Lithium Ion and the older NiCd batteries.

The 18V One+ Lithium batteries come in two sizes. The larger size has twice the capacity of the older NiCd packs and maintains full power until the internal cutoff (end of charge) is reached, these batteries have also typically had a fuel gauge incorporated into them as well. Then there is a smaller "low profile" battery that is more comparable in capacity to the older NiCd's, but which have no fuel gauge feature. Both battery packs are lighter in weight than their NiCd predecessors.

However, the new Lithium Ion batteries do sell for about 3-4 times the cost of their NiCd equivalents... but if you tend to be a light user and often keep your batteries topped off (i.e. shallow charge cycles typically) the Lithium batteries will last you 3-5 years (in my experience) versus 12-18 months for the NiCd (you'll get more life out of the NiCd's if you tend to make regular deep charge-discharge cycles).

Hopefully this answers all your questions.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Thank you... I didn't know anything about it at all...

Makes sense... not surprised about the increased cost...

The best way is probably to buy the equipment where they are Included! LOL

thsb

New User
Tim
That is what i plan on doing. My Ryobi batteries are finally shot after working pretty well for a long time. I am going to buy the Lithium set and then will have two cordless screwdrivers which i want anyway so i don't have to do as much switching bits.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
This guy has some of the best info out there on Ryobi 18v tools. Plus he lives in Hillsborough, and has a respectable presence on Ebay. Good pricing on tools, batts, and chargers. Have bought from him before; will do so again.

thsb

New User
Tim
Is it true that you shouldn't keep batteries in the charger after they have charged? I have heard that but there are times when i leave it in the charger for days because i haven't gone back in the shop.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Is it true that you shouldn't keep batteries in the charger after they have charged? I have heard that but there are times when i leave it in the charger for days because i haven't gone back in the shop.

It depends very much on the charger. Many cheap chargers continue to charge a battery for as long as the battery is on the charger and this can damage a battery over time if it is left on for too long. However, better chargers use a multi-stage charging technique where the final stage is a very slow trickle charge that finishes topping off the battery and keeps it topped off (and some will even cycle the trickle charge on and off as well), which does not, if properly designed, cause the batteries harm if left on the charger.

In the case of the newer Ryobi Lithium Ion/NiCd battery chargers it is generally safe to leave the batteries installed (I certainly do) as they will shut off once the battery reaches a full charge and only cycle back on once the battery has self-discharged slightly, at which point they will cycle back on momentarily and then back off.

Pretty much be definition, any Lithium Ion/Polymer battery charger will be safe to leave connected provided the battery pack and charger are otherwise well engineered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors