Rusty Brown and Sharpe combination square

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Belonged to my father before me and has fallen victim to water damage. I can pretty much remove the rusty spots but could use some guidance on removing the stains. This is pretty old and used hard by my father. He was a tool and die maker at Clark equipment and apparently used this at work because his name is engraved on the rule. The rule says tempered #4 whatever that means.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Silver polish and a 3-M pad will get most of the stain out after you remove the rust. Be careful not to over clean. Rather have a little stain than deep scratches.

Brown & Sharp is a fine brand of professional machinist tools that will give good service for several generations.

Hardened and tempered steel is very durable.

I think the #4 refers to the style of markings on the rule. Should be 1/8 and 1/16 on one side and 1/32 and 1/64 on the other side.

holcombej

jim
User
Tom, you may want to touch base with B&S about reconditioning it. I sent a dividing head for my set back to them and they did a great job. Mine was engraved with my name and it was still there when I got it back. Sentimental value means a lot!

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Thanks. I know it's a good name as I looked it up. They still sell the 3 piece and 4 piece combo square for a pretty penny. As for scratches, this thing is already pretty scratched up. I don't know how my Dad used it but it's well used. I don't use it much as I usually use one of those cheapies from the big box store. He kept it in the bottom drawer of the Gerstner tool box he used that I also have. I'm a little wary of reconditioning. I checked into having the Gerstner reconditioned and I would have to go back to work to afford it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks. I know it's a good name as I looked it up. They still sell the 3 piece and 4 piece combo square for a pretty penny. As for scratches, this thing is already pretty scratched up. I don't know how my Dad used it but it's well used. I don't use it much as I usually use one of those cheapies from the big box store. He kept it in the bottom drawer of the Gerstner tool box he used that I also have. I'm a little wary of reconditioning. I checked into having the Gerstner reconditioned and I would have to go back to work to afford it.
Check the price of a new U.S.A. model like yours. Likely in the mid $2000s.
They sell all the parts and materials to recondition the box yourself.
Lots of help online, there’s even a Facebook group.

You really should use the square, you won’t hurt it as much as letting it rust has hurt already. And if you are like me you will get a lot of enjoyment from using it.

I don’t have anything that belonged to my dad, but I have a Starrett combo-square that was used by my first boss’ father probably in the 40s. He was a millwright. It was gifted to me in my teens when I was studying drafting and thought I might go into engineering.

Since then I have bought several Starrett, Brown & Sharp, Mitutoyo, and even Craftsman machinist tools.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Some stains, particularly on cast iron, can be too deep to easily remove. Think cold drink circle on a cast iron top.
Some blades I've had in the past were so well used that they were rounded on the edges from scriber use. Those blades I had to replace if the head was still good.
I have had some luck laying 500 grit on a very flat surface and rubbing the blade flat. That usually gets rid of the big rust globs.
A wire wheel isn't something you want to use unless maybe it has brass bristles. You don't want to mess up the marks.
A photo would help in what methods we might suggest.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
When I went to work at Owens Illinois as an apprentice machinist in 1966, my Dad, a journeyman machinist himself, advised me not to go cheap on my measurement tools The best reputable brands were Starrett, Lufkin, and Brown and Sharpe. Sold most of them to my Dad and another machinist when I opted to stay in the military, but was able to get several 0.0001 micrometers back after my Dad died.

Another option for removing the stains is Barkeeps Friend scouring powder, which contains oxalic acid rather than chlorine.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Thanks Mark and thanks for your service. Navy here, 66-70. I think my father gave a lot of his stuff to the younger guys at work and only kept what he used in his basement woodworking shop. He spent a lot time down there after retiring calling it "pottin around".

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I appreciate that, Tom. Thank you for yours.

If I had kept those original tools, which IIRC cost me about $400 (half of which I borrowed from my Dad), they would be worth well over $4,000 now!

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS